Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 year in review

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Dickens's quote pretty much sums up 2009.  It was a bit of a rough year, but, also pretty great.  Here's the highlights:

In January I checked "skate at Rockefeller Center" off my New York bucket list.  It was fun, but for the cost, and quality and size of rink, definitely a one time thing.

My wifey, Shantay, came out for a visit in February!  We went to the ballet with some friends.

In March my dad finally came out for a visit longer than just an evening.  We had so much fun, especially this evening, after we walked the Brooklyn Bridge and ate at Grimaldi's.

Obviously the highlight of the year was going to Australia in April.

On New Year's Eve my roommates and I were discussing our best and worst moments of 2009.  Typically I don't think I'd be able to pick an actual moment, but I did for each of these.  I decided this moment was my best this year.

In May Mikey Perkey and I took a trip to Maine.

In May I was able to spend some time with family in Salt Lake City.  I love these girls.
Kimme, Tri, and Brooke.

Over Memorial Day I headed down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for Duck Beach again.  So glad Rachel and I could room together this year.

In June I headed to Boston for Madeline's 1st birthday.

The following weekend Britt, Maria, and I had our pajama jam birthday party.

I headed to Boston again for Nadia's birthday, and the Fourth of July.

I spent the summer whizzing up and down the West Side Highway, enjoying my new ride, the Pink Panther.

I went to a picnic in Kansas City.

I went to a few outdoor movies (another NY Bucket List item.)

I spent many evenings after work at Battery Park, enjoying the view, using the free wifi, and just relaxing.

Britt and I went to see Britney Spears.

I went to Rexburg for Chelse and Ryley's wedding.

I spent time in Rexburg seeing old friends, my grandparents, and exploring my old stomping grounds.  I got to meet Becky's husband Shawn (who I adore) and we ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant, Gringo's.

Emilee, Ashley, Jen and I saw the Killers (so good) at the coolest venue, Jones Beach on Long Island.

I moved (again) and Court helped me paint my new room.  (Purple, again.  I can't help it.)

Over Labor Day weekend I took a trip home.  Rebecca's family, Jason and Elise, my parents, and I spent a night in Big Bear.  We had fun on the alpine slides, and Meg even rode up the lift with me.

I spent a lovely evening in the harbor by Battery Park on Charlie's boat, following by a drive around the island at sunset.  It was perfection.

Bonded with the girls.  (In Lincoln Square, just before church.)

We went apple picking.

Logan, Britt, Maria, and I watched the Yankees beat the Sox from the 12th row.

We spent Columbus Day weekend in Rhode Island.

We watched a lot of games at our place.

I celebrated the Yankees' World Series victory.

We spent Halloween weekend in Boston, and the evening at a masquerade ball.

I met up with my dad in San Antonio; here, in front of the Alamo.

I took my last bike ride of the year the Saturday before Thanksgiving.  It was amazing weather.  Warm enough for a light jacket, but the leaves all around me had changed.  I rode along the Hudson and watched the sun set over the Statue of Liberty.

Jeff and I (and the rest of my ward) enjoyed the Thanksgiving feast we had the weekend before Thanksgiving.

After spending Thanksgiving day in the city with friends, I spent the rest of the weekend in Boston with Brad, Nadia, and Mad.

We spent the first weekend of December in the Berkshires.

I spent the second weekend of December in the dirty south, visiting Alabama.  (Roll Tide!!)  Brandon doesn't typically look like such a hick, but he was sporting the facial hair for a show he was doing.

The following weekend Gina and Megan came to the city for a girls' weekend before Meg gets married in June.  Even though we had a nasty nor'easter (biggest storm to hit the city in three years) we still had a ton of fun.

The next weekend was spent celebrating Christmas in California with the kiddos; Madeline, Ryan, and Megan.

And finally, the last weekend of December, was spent in the city, ringing in 2010.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow what a year! Sounds fun and exciting. I've always wanted to go to Australia. We went to NY a few times over the summer...dangit, we should have gotten together!

Unknown said...

P.S. Thanks for the encouraging words on one of my blog posts...you know which one I'm talking about!!!

Maroussia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.