Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy 60th birthday Dad!


Celebrating his birthday Saturday night (a few days early) after dinner at Joe's.

Today is my dad's 60th birthday. It feels weird to even type that, because my dad seems no where near 60 to me. My dad takes really good care of himself, thankfully, working out three or sometimes four times a week, eating healthily, riding his motorcycle, and trying his best to stay current on pop culture.
I was lucky enough to be able to get to Boston last weekend while he was there so we could celebrate. We had a great weekend, which I'll blog about later. Now, his birthday interview:

What do you do?
Director of Sales-California Scents (try to rid the world of stink)

Describe your perfect day.
#1 Spend time with my family, #2 go on a long motorcycle ride with good friends.

If you only had time to watch one tv show a week, which would you choose?
David Letterman

Last March when my dad came to New York and we went to The Late Show. I've never seen him so excited.

What's something people would be surprised to know about you?
People who don't know my background are always surprised to learn I grew up on a small farm.

When you've had a really bad day what makes you feel better?
See #2 and add a good work out.

Who's your celebrity crush?
Renee Zellweger (man crush-Dan Patrick.)
Sounds familiar. (The man crush, not Renee. Brad is not a Renee fan.)

What's one of your favorite childhood memories?
Spending time with my dad and Grandpa Beck.

What's one of your guiltiest pleasures?
Initials on my sleeve.
(He gets RJH embroidered on the sleeves of his button up shirts. This answer should show you how much my dad indulges or spoils himself.)

What's one of your favorite things about living in southern California?
The weather and my biker pals.

What's your favorite part about being a dad?
Seeing how well my children turned out.

What's book(s) are you currently reading?
The Old Testament

If I gave you $100,000 with the stipulation that you couldn't save it or invest it, and had to spend it within a week, what would you do with it?
Buy a new Lexus.

What is a piece of modern technology you could not live without?
Satellite radio.

Where is the most beautiful place you've ever been?
Havasuppi

The boys on one of their many Havasuppi trips.

What book should be required reading for every American?
Anything written by Neal A. Maxwell.

You've got two roundtrip tickets anywhere in the world. Where do you go and who do you take?
New Zealand-someone who loves to travel.

What three material possessions do you value most?
Motorcycle, autographed book by Neal A. Maxwell, my baseball ticket frame.

The frame in all its glory, including stubs to every MLB stadium, two World Series tickets, and a few pictures.

What are you looking forward to?
My next three day ride with my friends.


What are three things on your "bucket list"?
Go to Israel and Egypt
Hike Machu Picchu
Go on a cruise to Russia

Who is someone who has changed or shaped your life for the better?
God and anyone who believes in me.

What piece of advice would you give to your younger self?
Don't work so hard and enjoy the moments.
(Start this today, Dad!)

What do you know to be absolutely positively true?
God lives, Jesus died for me, both of them love me, and I have the four best children any father could ask for.
Coming down a bit, nothing beats a motorcycle ride with friends on a nice day.

The last few weeks I've been referencing a "big project" I've been working on. For my dad's birthday I had a blurb book made of pictures over my dad's life, and included about 30 birthday messages from friends and family. I gave it to him this weekend.
My mom did a ton of work going through photos and having them scanned and emailed to me. I included some of my favorites below, in no particular order.

Rebecca, Mom, me, Brad, Dad, Jason, in front of our house in Benicia, California.
This is probably 1985. It was the first house I lived in, but I have no memories of it because we moved to Kansas City soon after this picture was taken.

Rebecca, me, Jason, Brad, Dad, Mom. The family before in-laws and grandkids came along.
This is one of my dad's favorite family pictures. It was taken in Germany in July 2000.

So cheesy. Late 80s. Check out that 'stache.

Dad with his brothers, Bob on the left, Mike on the right, on my parents' wedding day.
May 10, 1974. Those chops are amazing. And I'm not sure but I think my dad may have had ruffles on his tux.

The obligatory Christmas Eve pjs shot, oldest to youngest.

A typical Saturday hanging out with my dad. Maybe 1987? In Chicago.

Senior Prom, June 2, 2001.

Look how young!

My favorite picture I'v ever seen of them. Isn't my mom a fox? I'm assuming this is an engagement party or maybe something for their wedding?

In Puerto Vallarta. No clue what year.

With Taffy as a little puppy!! 1987.

Alaskan cruise for their 25th anniversary.

Love this photo. Obviously it can be difficult getting six people to look at the camera. I think 1987.

Last weekend (February 6, 2010) when he just opened up his gift.

Having a good laugh at the picture of him on the cover.
I loved the quote I put on the front as well, "One starts to get young at the age of sixty..."
-Pablo Picasso


There were a lot of funny memories, as well as touching notes.


Happy happy 60th Dad!! I love you!!

7 comments:

Nadia said...

Happy birthday Jim. Thanks for coming to stay with us. We had a great time with you.And I have to say I LOVE that picture of you two in Puerto Vallarta. Deb looks so cute.

elise said...

Happy, happy birthday! I love all the old family photos.

Jason missed the memo that he was supposed to be having fun with his dad & bro in Havasuppi...

meggan said...

Great pics! And I am seething with envy over that frame with all the tickets. I may have just created a new life goal...

maggie said...

Awesome gift!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

I"m loving those old pictures!!!! WHat a sweet present!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimpossible said...

Your mom is a fox and you guys and you look exactly like her.

Wait...is that creepy? Was that like me telling you that you're a fox?