Sunday, September 28, 2008

Susan G. Koman: Race for the Cure

Two weeks ago I "ran" my first 5K.  Actually, it was my first official race ever.  I use the term ran lightly, as most of the time I was walking. 
Breast Cancer research is something I hold near and dear to my heart.  At the age of 25 I've known too many people already who've been affected by this disease, and lost my dear sweet Aunt Leza to the battle last fall.
When I saw an ad on the subway a few months ago I immediately signed up.  I was truly overcome by the generosity of so many who donated and helped me raise far beyond my goal.
For those of you who received the email asking for support, a lot of this will be repeated information, but I want to put it in my blog for my own record.
This was a special race for me as I was close with my Aunt Leza.  New York was her favorite place to visit and even though we were close while I was growing up, it wasn't until after my decision to move here that we became so much more connected.
I was sitting in Central Park last year on September 1st, when I received the news of my aunt's passing.  It was a beautiful day, and I was there with my mom, brother, and sister-in-law.
When I saw this race would be taking place in Central Park, I couldn't think of a better place to have it.

Two Sundays ago, September 14th, I met up with my friend Courtnie, and we headed up to the park.  It was a beautiful day.
I was blown away by the turn out.  It was so amazing and neat to be in a place where everyone was coming together for the same cause.  It was somewhat of a foreign feeling, to be in New York and have everyone so friendly, happy, and helpful.  I was a bit overwhelmed in the middle of the park, trying to find where I signed in and could pick up my shirt and bib, but everyone was very helpful.


There were thousands of people.  It really didn't sink in how many people are affected, until I saw so many people with there signs reading, "I'm running in celebration of...."  Just seeing all those names really hit home.  It also was humbling to see the little kids, who were there in support of their moms.  Truly inspiring.

Me and Court, trying to get to the front.  The race had begun but there were so many people filling up Central Park West, you couldn't even move.

My sweet Uncle Mike, Leza's husband, sent me this shirt to wear.  I love it so much.  So many people were wearing shirts in memory of someone, but I didn't see anyone wearing one with a picture.  I had a woman come up to me during the race to tell me she loved the shirt.  I was so proud.

I took this picture after we'd run about half a mile up Central Park West, and then turned into Central Park.  When I was living on West 112th Street I used to run down Central Park West to Columbus Circle.  This was during the time Leza was sick, and I'd often think of her during these runs.
By this point Courtnie and I had separated and were going at our own pace.  It was such an amazing experience.  I just can't say that enough.  I jogged without my iPod in for the first mile or so, to take in the experience.  It was great to have people cheering us along on the sidelines, little cheerleaders, and people handing out water.  I think it would be really cool to volunteer next year.
As I mentioned, it was a beautiful day.  I truly could feel Leza's spirit there with me, so strong.  As I was listening to my iPod I had some fun music, like the Beatles, "I Saw Her Standing There" and Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl".  So many times I'd think of her and I always just saw her, dancing around, always with the biggest grin on her face, always so happy.  Anyone who knew Leza knew what a great dancer she was, and how she was always having fun.  
This was quite the emotional experience for me.  I will admit I cried for the first two miles, but it was just a really neat thing for me to do.  I wish I could put my feelings into words better.


After the race there were stands everywhere, giving out free everything.  I loved this water bottle, and thought, how perfect!

Being a breast cancer survivor, Cynthia Nixon was there, helping give out the awards.  I've seen her a few times filming in the city, but this was the closest I'd ever seen her.  She is tiny, and was so sweet.

When Courtnie and I were headed back to the subway we walked through an area where so many of the benches were dedicated.  I especially loved this one.  So sweet.

1 comment:

elise said...

i'm glad you had a good time. i love this race. it is my favorite race every year. such a sense of community.