Monday, September 29, 2008

Hydrate

Does anyone else think about so many different things during the day and think, "I want to blog about that tonight"?  Maybe I'm the only one, since I can't blog until I'm at home.  Anyway, by the time I get to the computer most of my thoughts are gone.  There's no one topic to this post, so bear with me.
  • So I went to a dermatologist Friday, mostly for this annoying scalp condition (under normal circumstances I might be embarrassed to admit t this to other people, but honestly I'm finding it's more common than people think, so why not talk about it?)  Anyway, I'll spare you the details, but I've gotten pretty frustrated with different little annoyances with my skin.  Yes, I've been fortune to have a pretty clear complexion, but I've always had dry skin.  Lately I've developed these little bumps on my arms and part of my legs.  What the heck is that about?  I did a little research and it turns out this is a really common irritation that affects a lot of adults.  It can't be cured (how convenient) but it can be treated.  Every night I've been putting lotion containing AHA on the affected areas and it really seems to help.  The only lotion I could find with AHA is Eucerin, which I actually really hate, but it helps.  While I was at the derm, he mentioned noticing I have dry lips.  Yikes, other people notice?  I mean skin's his specialty and all but still.... Yes, I am painfully addicted to chap stick.  Anyway, basically all these little things (maybe not the dry lips) are made worse due to stress (not really that stressed right now) and dehydration.  Ahhh, ding ding ding.  Should I be embarrassed to admit I drink hardly any water?  I have more water at home at night, but for the most part I'm sucking down Diet Cokes at the office.  So in an attempt to help these little problem areas out I'm drinking more water and less Diet Coke.  I'm not going to go crazy here and I say I'm quitting Diet Coke because we all know how long that would last, but I'm cutting back.  All the water intake doesn't allow any other liquids!  (At least not much.)  Every time I feel my dry lips I take another sip of water and I swear it's already helping.  I haven't used chap stick once today.
  • In other "betterment" news, now that I'm feeling more settled into my apartment I'm trying to get back (not sure when the last time I was there) into a routine.  I'm currently sitting in my gym clothes and will head up to the dreadmill after this post.  I really really want to try to work out more.  This always comes in cycles, but I'm going to try to at least ease my way into it, so I don't burn out after two days.
  • And speaking of routine, I will admit it, I'm not a good scriptures reader.  I'm also doing the 90 day Book of Mormon challenge.  6 pages a day and I'll have it read by the end of the year.  I just started last night so if you want to join me you're only one day behind.  Anyone want in?  Anyone?
  • I haven't posted pictures of the new place because it's honestly still in limbo.  I've fianlly unpacked everything but there's just not places for everything to go, at least not how I'd like them.  I actually still have one box, of coats.  I need a coat hanger because there's no room in my closet.  And we need some sort of closet to hold things like a Swiffer, and a broom, and an ironing board, and cleaning supplies.  And we also need all these things that would go in said closet.  By the way, I really want a Tobi.  I read about it on a friend's blog and was intrigued, and yesterday I saw an infomercial.  Now I just need to find an extra $100.  I seirously HATE to iron, and am SO bad at it, and I hear this thing works wonders.  
  • Today was beautiful outside.  Mis 70s.  Nice how it rains all weekend and then is beautiful when I'm back at work.  Typical.  Speaking of the weekend, I'm a really bad friend because I ditched out on one of my oldest friends Steve's birthday party Saturday night.  I couldn't get motivated to schlep up to 111th Street.  So not only did I feel bad, but today while walking through Bryant Park to get lunch I ran into the birthday boy, as well as mike, and three of their other accounting friends from PwC.  They gave me a hard time about it and all I could say was, "I have no excuse.  I'm a really bad friend."  Steve, if you're reading this, I really am sorry!!!  It was just one of those days/nights.
  • Also, if you work in an environment where you're in a group that has an assistant, it's a smart decision to be nice to him/her.  I know assistants aren't all that important, and we make like, 1/4 of your salary (when you're one of the lower paid in the group) but still, just by way of FYI, when you're rude/arrogant/annoying, we put your work off and do others' first who are nice to us.  And by the way, you're like, 27, and one of the newer guys.  You're definitely not as cool or nearly as important as you think you are.  I'm just saying.  (Obviously this person is completely hypothetical........but if you fit the description, be nice to your admin.  Word gets around and no one wants to help you.)
  • I hate to admit it, but I'm about over Dancing with the Stars.  Sorry Mom, but it just takes up too much time and I'm just not that into it.  It's like American Idol, but worse.  Just not entertaining enough to commit like 4 hours a week to.  I don't have the time, even with a dvr.
  • Speaking of tv, now I'm looking at the skinny girls on Gossip Girl so it's definitely time to hit the gym.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Look at you and your blogging self!! I love it. A few things:

1) I will take up the reading challenge with you

2) Get the steamer - you will love it. As you know, I hate the process of ironing as well.

3) Good job on working out, but please don't start to look like GG - too skinny.

So good to see you last night!!

Marcus and Amy said...

I am a random blogger too, but thats what a blog is for right? In fact just yesterday Marc made fun of me for putting a tribute to Paul Newman on my blog...I can't help it, he was a good man and did a lot of good, it was on my mind that day and he deserved some recognition on my blog.

* I am highly addicted to chap stick (Burts Bees) and I try to drink 34-48 oz of water a day...somtimes I only get about half of it in and other days I exceed 48 oz

* Not the best scripture reader either, but I will try 90 days with you! I should be reading anyways now being called to YW, I would be a bad leader/example if I didn't!

* I want a Tobi! I have a linen skirt that no matter how much I iron still looks wrinkled!

So blog about what ever you want - I think sometimes those are the best posts to read!

Jason said...

I have those freaky red bumps on my arms too! Hate those things. Just appeared when I was studying for CFA. I thought it was stress related, but they havent gone away. I even tried getting a sun burn so at least they would be harder to see, but it didnt work. As for the chapstick, my dermo told me that the more you use it, the more you need it. The best way to get non-dry lips is to let the body build up the strength of the skin in your lips and chapstick makes it so that doesnt happen. I recently started running too. Gotta get ready for the turkey trot. I find its helpful to put the ipod on and say I'm going to run for 3 songs. Or whatever. Then add a song every now and again. Some songs are really short and that is cool. Sucks to get the long techno songs.

Jamie said...

first of all...i am horrible at drinking water and working out! i need to be better.

second, i am going to try to read the book of mormon by the end of the year. thanks for the motivation! : )

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I am SO over Dancing with the Stars also--didn't even set it to record this season after giving up halfway through last.

Water's good for you young lady!! I try to drink four bottles while at work but I swear the only thing it does is make me have to pee like a racehorse. I got the cursed Marks dry skin also--I got my bottle of Eucerin from grandma, but TSA confiscated it because I forgot to pack it. :( Do you respond to comments--should I even bother clicking the "email follow-up comments..."??? Ok--I'm clicking it, so don't be too lazy to answer my question. :)

Got your email, haven't had time to respond yet...Um...too busy leaving comments. :)

melissa said...

guh reading about steve's bday really makes me want to move to nyc. i am so sick of these orange county boys, i want to gouge my eyes out. PS i am recruiting for duck beach... 8 months early hahahha. i am going FOR SURE!!