Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11




It was a somber day in New York.  When I exited the back of my building this morning I was bombarded with fire trucks with their lights flashing, firemen, and police officers directing traffic.  They were getting ready for the memorial service which happens every year, just three blocks away from my apartment, at World Trade Center.
To say it was a heavy feeling this morning, as a moment of silence was held four times, the first at 8:46am, would be an understatement.  It was so strange to hear the trading floor go completely silent and see the traders with their heads down, and equally strange to look up at the TVs and see the Stock Exchange silent.  It was almost deafening.
Last year was my first time in New York on September 11th, and I'll never forget it.  This year, however, seemed to feel even heavier, I'm not sure why.  I was living in this apartment in 2007, and was working for the same company.  Maybe it's because I've heard so many more personal experiences from that day.  Maybe it's because I know next September 11th my company will be located in Tower 7 of World Trade, or maybe it's because after living here for almost two years I feel an even stronger tie to New York; I don't know.  
I know I will never comprehend how it felt to be here in 2001.  I can only think about and pray for those who experienced a loss that day.  

*Both photos taken out of my living room window of f the Twin Towers Memorial Lights.

3 comments:

Steve and Rebecca said...

I'm glad that everyone in NYC had the 4 moments of silence...Steve and I were so disappointed by the lack of media coverage about 9/11. We watched the news and it got maybe 3-4 minutes and then onto the hurricane. I did not see a single flag anywhere around our neighborhood. So sad...

elise said...

Cool pictures. We had a moment of silence at my school after the pledge. It was nice.

chelse said...

wow that was amazing what you wrote. I think it's so awesome that you go to be there and go to the memorial service. I woke up and didn't really even think about it all day. It's good to remember and I would have loved to be there... even though it wasn't exactly what you call a thrilling day for sure