Tuesday, September 30, 2008

1 Nephi 4-7

So I mentioned yesterday I'm going to do the 90 day Book of Mormon Challenge.  Yesterday was day 2 and I already missed that one.  I was just getting into bed to read when my phone rang.  It was my sometimes over-the-phone-reading buddy so I thought, perfect timing.  Well, not really.  This call occurred at 11pm and turned into one of those conversations, you know, the ones you can't really just say, "You know, I'm really sorry, but we'll have to continue this extremely important conversation later because I need to get my six pages in before midnight."  The call lasted two hours and by 1am it was all I could do to hit the disconnect button before I fell asleep.
But, have no fear, there's about a week (maybe a little less) of buffer time so if you miss a day here or there it's not too drastic.  But in the future, I will be doing my best not to miss days, and when I do, will be trying to make those six pages up the next day.  Oh yeah, and this probably goes without saying, but usually if a chapter continues on to a seventh or eighth page, I'll just finish the chapter, instead of breaking right in the middle.
Moving along.  There were a few of you who actually mentioned wanting to do the 90 Day Challenge as well.  I figured, why not include the blog?  If anyone really wants to try to stay on track together, I think it will be motivating (at least for me) to feel like someone else out there is depending on me to not give up.  And guess what, if you (or I) happen to fall behind (or anyone wants to join in when we're halfway through) no big deal.  It's all about facing the right direction, and moving forward, no matter what the pace.
Obviously not every day, but on days I feel inclined I'd like to document some of my thoughts/feelings I had during my reading, and I'd like to open my comment box to anyone else reading along (or with feelings on the particular chapters) to add their insights as well.
Please be curtious and respectful.  If there's someone out there lurking who has something negative to say, please keep your thoughts to yourself.  I went private once due to anonymous disrespectful comments, and don't want to have to go private again. 
My humble, simple thoughts probably won't bring any insight to anyone other than myself, but I would love to hear thoughts from some of you more knowledgeable readers out there.
Now that that's out of the way, I guess I'll give this a shot and hopefully this is a positive experience.

I really loved N4:6- And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.
(bold added by blogger)
This verse especially stuck out to me tonight.  It's just such an amazing example of faith.  Truly walking out into the darkness, or stepping off that cliff, not knowing beforehand what will happen, but having 100% trust that the Lord will guide you.  
I also noticed in the footnote 6b "Gifts of Inspiration"  This reminded me that these promptings of the Holy Spirit are gifts.  They are not entitlements, but a wonderful blessing from the Lord, and I need to remember to thank Him for the frequent promptings He sends me.

I've been trying to read aloud.  I think it helps me understand a little better.  When I read N5:8- ...Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness; yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected my sons, and delivered them out of the hands of Laban, and given them power whereby they could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded them...
It sounded to me like what Sariah would be saying as if she were standing at the pulpit, bearing her testimony.  Like so many of the other heroic acts in the scriptures, I marveled at how much of Sariah's faith must have been tested, to send her sons back to Laban.

In N6:6 Nephi states- Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men.
To me this is saying, if Nephi said nothing should be written that's not important, than everything written is of import.  This reminds me even the parts I get lost in have a meaning, and are important for me to understand.

Lastly, I want to conclude with this quote from Gordon B. Hinckley about the 90 Day Encounter with the Book of Mormon.  (This was in reference to reading the Book of Mormon three times in 90 days, but I still think it applies.  One day I'll be that ambitious.)

"Brothers and sisters, without reservation I promise you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon, regardless of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into your hearts an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord.  There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God."
("The Power of the Book of Mormon," Ensign, June 1988, p.6)

1 comment:

melissa said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I will totally do it too!