Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet

We thank thee, O God, for a prophet to guide us in these latter days.  We thank thee for sending the gospel to lighten our minds with its rays.  We thank thee for every blessing bestowed by thy bounteous hand.  We feel it a pleasure to serve thee and love to obey thy command.

When dark clouds of trouble hang o'er us and threaten our peace to destroy, there is hope smiling brightly before us, and we know that deliv'rance is nigh.  We doubt not the Lord nor his goodness.  We've proved him in days that are past.  The wicked who fight against Zion will surely be smitten at last.

We'll sing of his goodness and mercy.  We'll praise him by day and by night, rejoice in his glorious gospel, and bask in its life-giving light.  Thus on to eternal perfection the honest and faithful will go, while they who reject this glad message shall never such happiness know.

Sunday night I was sitting on my couch talking to Curtis.  I was exhausted after a long weekend and a long day flying.  My roommate walked in and simply and somberly said, "Guess what guys?  President Hinckley just passed away."  I was so shocked.  He was 97 years old and I obviously didn't think he would live forever, but I just wasn't prepared to hear something like that.
I've read a lot of peoples' tributes on their blogs about our beloved prophet and it seems like pretty much everyone feels the same.  Like everyone else I will always think of President Hinckley as "my" prophet, meaning he was the leader of our church for the majority of my growing up.  My sister-in-law Elise made a comment that I'd also like to point out for anyone who is not of my faith and isn't sure, as members of the LDS church we don't worship our prophets and see Jesus Christ as the head of our church, however we do look to our prophet for guidance.  
Like everyone else, I had very mixed feelings.  It was such a strange state to be in.  Curtis and I just kind of looked at each other and got very quiet.  Deep down in my heart I was (and am) so happy for him to be moving on to the next phase of life.  His sweet adorable wife Marjorie passed away in 2004 and considering the perfect marriage they had, I know they were so happy to be together again.
Selfishly, I was (and am) so sad that he is not here with us on the earth anymore.  There are so many things I will miss about him.  He did so many wonderful things for our church.  
I chose this picture of him because he was told by his doctor to carry a cane, however he usually used it to wave hello, and loving bop people on the head.  
I think the things I will miss the most about him are the love he had for us, and his humor.  It was guaranteed that when you listened to him speak you would both feel his deep love, and also be laughing at times. 
My favorite talk I ever heard him give was when he came to Rexburg and dedicated the Hinckley building.  I absolutely love love LOVED that talk.
We'll miss you President Hinckley.  Thank you for all you've done for us.

No comments: