Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My new favorite hobby


Yup, apparently I longboard now, and I love it.  Okay, I haven't gone pro, but it seriously is so fun!  I always heard about longboarding and how "sweet" it was in college, but it seemed like it was just guys who were always crashing and getting gnarly scabs, something I happily left behind in grade school.  The only girl I knew who did it was my friend Chelse, who's just one of those super cool chicks who can be totally girly and adorable one minute, and the next be hanging with the boys, totally keeping up.
So Curtis has a longboard and since he only lives 6 blocks away he usually longboards over when the weather's not bad.  One night we were leaving his place and headed to mine so I told him I wanted to try.  It pretty much was me standing on the board, and him holding my hand and pulling me along, kinda little red wagon style.  Then, at one point, we both sat down on it sledding style (his idea.....)  I believe my direct quote when we took off was, "I'm not like you!  I don't like getting hurt!"  Luckily he stopped us before we ran into a wall.  
Anyway, so Saturday night we stopped by his place where I'd left a few things while we got dinner, and then headed to my apartment.  It was a nice night so I told him I wanted to try longboarding for real.  He gave me a few pointers and we started off doing slow, simple things.  At first it was kind of awkward and I had a hard time allowing myself to put my weight on my right foot (which would end up at the back of the board....aka regular) and just push with my left foot.  After some semi-decent attempts I wanted Curtis to do it so I could watch.  When I went to try again Curtis mentioned I had the wrong foot on the board.  I'd naturally put my left foot on the board.  Before I could correct it he said, "Actually, maybe you're goofy, go ahead and try it."  I guess it turns out I'm goofy because it was way more natural and easy to push with my right foot and then steer once both feet were on the board.
I had a total blast and can't wait to go again!!  Thank goodness I live right next to Battery City Park.  Longboarding along the Hudson River?  Sounds pretty good to me.  I gotta get out before we get snow!!

3 comments:

elise said...

Longboarding is fun. I used to do it on campus at BYU with my friend Kara, until we got in trouble.

PS- This double posted.

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

that roundabout is the one in IF....near the wal-mart by the highway. Insane huh?!

Ang said...

I love all your fun pictures on your blog. The black background makes it nice because you can appreciate the true color in each shot. Ha! I'm kind of sounding like a fashion-geek. If I ever come to NY, lets longboard in Central Park. That would be a blast.