Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!



This is a soft frame I've had since 2.1.87. I can't remember not having it. On the back it says, Heavenly Father loves Rachel Hope as much as Jim Hope does. I'm pretty sure I got it for primary or something. I had this with me at college and have it with me now in New York. I absolutely love it. It's so cheesy and just adorable.

It's days like this I hate living 3000 miles away. Knowing my family will be getting together and I can't be there is such a bummer. Especially on a day we're celebrating my dad. Anyone who knows me knows how close I am to my dad. We've always been close. When I was little I would be his little buddy and run errands with him. We had sort of a ritual where we'd go wash the car, eat breakfast at Grandma Sally's (I'd always get the micky mouse pancakes) and go pick up the dry cleaning at the 5th Avenue building. He'd give me some change and I'd go get something at the candy store a few doors down. I remember going on so many daddy-daughter-dates whether they were organized through girl scouts or some other function, or just on our own. He did all the important things growing up. He worked hard to provide, took us on family vacations, coached soccer teams, and set an example. He taught me how to drive a stick shift, balance my check book and change a tire. He came to all the games I cheered at in high school and all our competitions. He always got involved and knew all my friends. He's always sacrificing to make his family happy. One example of this is when he traded in six months of hotel stays so my friends and I could stay at the Waldorf Astoria when we visited New York City. He's taught me quirky is a good thing. He's always let me make my own decisions and respected me as a person and now adult. He gives loving advice and is never controlling. I love that I've inherited his love for David Lettermen, hate for overhead lights, interest in words, and general pickiness for movies (although he's a much tougher critic than I.) I'm so happy I could develop a love for Rexburg, his original hometown. I have so many memories with my dad, like going to "fellowship" (one of his favorite words) at Golden Spoon or Starbucks. I love when I call him at work and he's swamped and when I ask if he wants me to call him later he tells me, "I can always make time for you." He's one of my best friends and I don't know anyone who has as close of a relationship with their dad as me. I am so lucky. Happy Father's Day Dad. I miss you every day. Love you.

Here we are in front of the Teton Mountains with my brother Jason.



Snow mobiling in Yellowstone.



Hahaha, this picture cracks me up because the big grin on his face is proof that he is way too nice to look tough on a bike. Going on rides is one of my dad's favorite things. He has a little "biker gang" with some guys from the ward that go on "mancations" bi-annually. He also likes to go for rides on Saturdays, and whenever else he can find a chance. He is so proud of his bike. He likes to remind everyone it's a Honda with 1800 CCs.......whatever that means. I guess it has a really big engine. Seriously though, I love to ride on the back, and it's really fast, and I'm so glad he found a hobby.



Dressed up like a bum for Halloween for his work party. He works for California Scents so his sign read, Will work for food or "Scents." My mom is so creative. :)



With his ginormous remote Jason and Elise gave him for Christmas.



So my mom REALLY wanted a hoola hoop for Christmas, haha, random, I know. So I got her one and we took turns trying it out. Here's Jimbo.

1 comment:

Steve and Rebecca said...

That is so nice for Dad. I told him last night to check out your blog, so hopefully he remembers. We had a fun night with Mom and Dad at their place. We had a yummy BBQ and went to the park up by the pool. We missed you! Love, Rebecca