Thursday, June 7, 2007

Finally....


So anyone who knows me well knows that I'm totally lacking the interior decorator gene (very strange considering my mom used to be one, and she and I are like twins.) I was never the girl in college who said to her roomies, "Let's go to Target and buy cute curtains and pillows for the couch and spruce this place up a bit!" I was actually the annoying roommate who groaned and thought, I seriously don't want to spend money on this, the apartment looks fine.
My mom used to call my bedroom back home "the museum" because there was absolutely no order. I had practically everything I ever received up on my walls, just displayed like that. Get something new? Put it on the wall. Zero order. Zero coordination. I never thought twice about it while I was growing up because whenever my friends came over they always commented how they loved my room because there was so much to look at.
In college I kind of did the same thing with my room, and never felt the need to make the living area cutesy. My roommates took care of that. I always thought to myself When I'm a grown up and have my own place, then I'll make it all cute.
Well, that day came about four months ago. I graduated college and now live in an apartment I share with two other girls. It was pretty much decorated when I moved into it, so I had no desire to make any changes. It all looked fine to me. I mean, I can appreciate a really cute room, but for the most part, every room always looks fine to me. (Do I sound like a guy or what?)
SO, the point of my ramblings is, in less than three months I'll be moving into a new apartment, most likely starting from scratch. I'm hoping to get my own place, actually, so I definitely won't have roommates to depend on for this sort of thing. I've felt quite a bit of pressure and anxiety about this because this means I have to A-figure out how to decorate; B-pick things out on my own; and C-fork over tons of money I don't have to buy stuff for the place.
So what did I find to my surprise in my mailbox yesterday? The IKEA catalogue!! I'd forgotten I ordered this. I looked through part of it on the subway and for the FIRST time in my life, I was actually excited to make a home for myself. FINALLY!!!IKEA is so fabulous with their cheap prices and room ideas. You honestly have no idea what a relief it is to finally have these feelings of nesting stirring inside me. Maybe I won't be a failure of a homemaker after all.
PS Mom can you please book some flights for the end of the summer already? I mean, I know I'm starting to have ideas and all, but I still need your help!!!!

1 comment:

katherine said...

ooo, I'm jealous. You're own fun apartment and being able to do whatever you want with it! I'm finally getting my high rise apartment in Chicago, and Shane is making me fill it with crapy, hand-me-down furniture. No funds for decor here :(.