Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend

This weekend was pretty uneventful, which was really nice considering how crazy things have been recently.  (You wouldn't really know, because since it's been crazy, I haven't been able to blog, and since I haven't been able to blog, you don't know how crazy it's been.  Vicious cycle.)
So Friday night I was supposed to go to the Mets vs Braves game with Chelsie, Jaclyn, Maria, Steve, and Mike.  Supposed to.  Didn't make it.  Long story.  But I met up with Chels and Steve to see Baby Mama.  I have to admit, even though I think Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are two of the funniest women on tv, I thought the movie looked pretty stupid.  Maybe it was my low expectations, maybe it was because it was and 11:30pm showing and I was super tired, but I thought it was hilarious.  I was rolling.  Amy is freakin hysterical.  The movie is cheesy and predictable, but perfect for a great laugh.
Saturday was super lazy, which was perfect.  I didn't get home from the movies till 2am and I can't even tell you how excited I was to be able to sleep in.  I've had to get up early every Sat for the last several weeks and there's nothing I hate doing more than setting an alarm Friday night.  I got up about 10:15am which was perfect because I'm at least old enough to now hate wasting the day.
I got up, watched 30 Rock with my roommates, chilled, and then went over to Curtis'.  We headed over to his hair cutters.  I (finally) convinced him to go shorter, although he was freaking out the whole time, driving the stylist crazy.  I thought it looked really good.  When we got back to his place and he tried to style it he realized it was uneven and got really mad.  This kills me because the guy seriously almost never gets mad, but when it comes to the hair, watch out.  It's his "thing."  Love it.  So after a big freak out, me attempting to fix it, and then me realizing he wanted me to cut a lot more than I was comfortable with (especially after seeing how seriously he takes hair cuts) I sent him back to the hair cutters, where he got it fixed.  I met back up with him and he looked like a little boy.  It was all short and just laying flat, kinda like missionary style.  He looked adorable.  Have no fear, he still sports the hawk, but it's a shorter version (for now.)  He's been meaning to get some new sunglasses so we stopped at a tourist trap.  Sunglasses for $5?  Okay.  He wanted my opinion on a particular pair.  At first I was like, ehhhh.  Then my honest opinion was, "Weeeeellllll, you have to know that when you wear those people are going to think you think you're really cool."  Him: "I do."  (Joking, mostly.)  "Okay well you have to be prepared for comments.  Like, I have some super big glasses and when I put them on people talk to me like I think I'm a movie star or something."  That didn't bother him, so I told him they did look good, so he got them.  After about five minutes I was obsessed with them.  We went to eat at Gold Street Diner and I made him wear them during lunch because suddenly with his normal hair, look-at-me shades, and 36-hour shadow he totally reminded me of Bono, who I love, in case you don't know.
A little later I was getting ready to go out for the night.  I was supposed to meet up with Taylor for dessert, and then a goodbye party for Karen, my dear friend who's moving to Arizona.  My contacts were super dry so I took them out to rewet them.  I was at Curtis', so I used his roommate's solution, or so I thought.  It turns out it was contact disinfectant.  The second I put my contact in my eye, my whole eyeball was engulfed in severe stinging.  I had this happen once before, when I used Elise's roommates "solution."  (There's a long story that explains why I made this mistake twice....I swear I checked the label before I did this.)  Note to contact wearers: Do NOT EVER make this mistake!  It is the worst pain ever.  The pain forces your eye shut so you can't get your contact out, and you can't make the pain stop without removing your contact.  (Yet another vicious cycle?) After many attempts at forcing the lids open and clawing at my poor eyeball, I got out the contact and let the faucet water gush into my beat red eye.  Needless to say, I was thrashing around and whispering angry cuss words in the boys' bathroom.  When I finally composed myself I walked out and Jason, Curtis' roommate was very confused.  I told him what had happened.  He told me sorry, because it was his disinfectant.  And I told him sorry I attempted to steal some solution.
I went home to redo my makeup and change, but by the time I got there all I wanted to do was not go out.  I called Taylor and canceled, feeling awful because the last time we had plans they fell through as well.  Luckily he's the nicest guy in the world.  
I ended up just chilling at home with a couple of roommates and Court.  I really was sad about the party, but at least I caught up on the Office, Grey's, and the Soup, and had some fabulous girl talk to boot.  And later that night and the next day I got some concerned text messages and questions at church regarding my "burned eye."  Haha, guess the news made it to the party.
Going to church was nice because I feel like I haven't been forever.  Last week was Stake Conference, the week before Jason and Elise were here and we only went to Sacrament, and the week before was General Conference, so it felt good to be back to normal.
The most exciting part of my weekend happened after church.  My friend Kellie is moving and was selling her lovesac.  I've always wanted a lovesac so I jumped on the opportunity.  The problem?  She lives on 105th Street.  Luckily my fabulous home teacher and friend Randy (Ricky-Randy to me....yes, a take off of Justin-Bobby) has a car and agreed to let me borrow it.  He was going to take me but is in the middle of studying for finals.  He goes to NYU dental school.  Amazing.  So I still needed a guy, so Curtis came.  I made Curtis drive seeing as how I've never driven in the city.  Don't worry, as we were heading up Madison Ave I was looking at the people and saw this guy carrying his little daughter, tossing her in the air.  "How cute," I thought.  Then I realize, gasp!  It's Toby McGuire with his daughter Ruby!!!  Totally legit A-list sighting.  Love it.  He was sporting a beard.  Looks like a great dad.  Thank you UES.
So we made it to 105th and got the lovesac (after quite the debacle) into the backseat of Ricky-Randy's 2door CL.  Yeah, we were cramped.  
We headed downtown and Curtis took my lovesac to my apartment while I saw in the car.  Then I took him to midtown where he was two hours late to meet up with some out of towners visiting.  I dropped him off at 5th and 42nd, and then had to brave the city behind the wheel for the very first time after living here for over a year.  I had to go to 1st and 14th.  It actually wasn't too bad.  I was really nervous, but did okay.  I kept wanting to make calls because it just seems natural to talk on the phone while you're in the car, but you can't use a handheld device while driving here.  Not like I needed the added distraction anyway.  
I finally made it back to Randy's, and the real problem was finding parking.  Ugh.  That took another twenty minutes, but luckily I found a spot, and hopefully he didn't get towed.....
I may have stopped at Baskin Robins along the way....I couldn't help myself.  
I couldn't believe it was 10pm after I got home.  Granted, I wasted an hour on the phone and eating ice cream, but that whole ordeal seriously took all afternoon and evening after church.
Since I missed my afternoon nap I was exhausted and went to bed and was asleep before 11pm.  Can't remember the last time that happened.  Heaven.

I don't even get this cartoon but I just love the fact it has my church's name on it.
PS I'm currently blogging from the comfort of my new lovesac. Love it.

3 comments:

elise said...

JEALOUS of the Love Sac. Very Jealous.

I totally forgot about the contact solution!!

katherine said...

I want to see Baby Mamma sooooo bad. Did you hear she's prego in real life? And I've totally used that acidic, crazy contact solution like regular solution. I feel the pain. I thought I'd end up blind or eyeless for sure. That's what I get for sending a boy who doesn't wear contacts to pick up contact solution.

nerak said...

So sorry about your eyes, honey! We missed you at my mormon fete!