Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Operation: Get skinny

Duck Beach is in four, count em four weeks.  I'm trying to change my eating habits (like maybe I shouldn't have a chocolate chip croissant and Diet Coke for breakfast every day?)
So, seeing as how the weather's been so beautiful I've been trying to force myself to enjoy being outside by running the bridge.
Today was day 2 (I know, such a long streak I have going, right?)  Anyway, I am absolutely LOVING having this as my exercise.  Never have I had a more inspiring view than the lower Manhattan, the New York skyline, and the Statue of Liberty.  I just can't put it into words.  And not only is the view great, but the diversity of people on the bridge is amazing.  Yesterday I saw: tourists, Brooklynites commuting back home, other people exercising, a guy walking the bridge on crutches (it's a little over a mile one way) two Hacidic Jews on a tandem bike, a musician type guy in a tie-dye purple matching pants and jacket being photographed, people walking their dogs, enless photogs, a guy going across in a wheelchair, kids who look like they were on a class trip, college kids making films, nannies pushing children in strollers, couples sitting on benches, and so on, and so on.  It was great.  I mean, I kinda would just love it if I could have the bridge all to my lonesome (wishful thinking) but if not, it's fascinating to see all different kinds of people.  Much better for people watching than the same mold of cougar I'd see running around Lake Mission Viejo.

Today I bought this little number, in hopes that not having to hold onto a big iPod will make running a little less...torturous?  
Lastly, I'm trying to get more of this down every day.

And maybe soon I'll look like Gisele?  Hm, maybe wishful thinking again.

I can't help but wish the Twin Towers were still there.  Every time I see the skyline of lower Manhattan it's just not complete.  


2 comments:

shantayl said...

I totally have a little shuffle like that... TWINNERS as always

Brad Hope said...

sad, when I run I see stars, dark circles, and the sky as I am on my back gasping for air