Friday, April 25, 2008

They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway


This year I have a goal to see a Broadway show every month. I lived here for way too long without seeing very many shows and I hated having to tell disapponted friends back home when they'd ask, "Have you seen a lot of shows?" I enjoy going to them, I just am bad about putting forth the effort and paying the money, even though you can do the lottery or TKTS to get cheaper tickets. I always think, "Oh I can always go see that show, I'm going to do (other random activity) instead."
However, now that one of the shows I wanted to see has closed (The Drowsey Chaperone,) I'm trying to make more of an effort to see a show a month.
Here's the shows this year:
January: Chicago
February: Mary Poppins
April: Mamma Mia!
April: Curtains (two this month to make up for no show last month)

Last year I saw:
Jersey Boys
Wicked
My First Time

And in LA in years past:
The Lion King
The Phantom of the Opera
Cats

Here's what I'd still like to see (* next to the ones with higher priority):
Shrek
*Spamalot
*Phantom (again)
The Little Mermaid
*Young Frankenstein
*A Chorus Line
Avenue Q
*Grease (bonus: seeing my new friend, the uber talented Natalie Hill!)
*Hairspray
Rent
*Xanadu
*Boeing-Boeing
Blue Man Group
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
Naked Boys Singing! (haha, kidding)
Stomp
*The Awesome 80s Prom

Guess I'd better get cracking! Lots of shows to see. Good thing I'm not leaving anytime soon!

My favorite so far is Jersey Boys. Love love LOVED it. Fell absolutely in love with the Four Seasons music. (But a strong warning: not for those sensitive to NY vernacular.) I also really loved Mamma Mia!, Mary Poppins, and Cats. They should bring that one back. Also, this is a ridiculously embarrassing question.....is Les Mis still playing? I thought I heard it wasn't, but some people told me it was, but it's not on the Broadway sites....

3 comments:

brenna said...

I saw Les Mis while I was there. I don't remember which theater it was in, but it was on Broadway.

Nadia said...

I love all the Broadway shows. Brad and I have been wanting to go again soon. Its so nice you live so close - take advantage of it!!! Hopefully we all go to one together, just the four of us :)

nerak said...

Just fyi, you can totally go see the Blue Man Group for free. Just call them, tell them you'd like to usher on a certain night and they'll set you up. All you have to do is point people to their seats for like a half hour before the show (the theater is tiny) and then clean up tissue paper for 5 minutes afterwards. Easiest way to get out of 75 bucks ever. I've seen the Blue Man Group probably 5 times that way. I kind of love it. And visitors love getting something for free, esp when they're not used to spending so much $$ in a weekend. :)