Monday, April 21, 2008

Jason and Elise in the city

So the weekend before last Jason and Elise came out to New York.  (I realize this post is so overdue, I'm trying to catch up!)
It started off Saturday morning when Elise arrived to my apartment at about 6:30am after flying in on the red eye.  She was awake and ready to go so we chatted for a bit and then headed out.  I have to admit, I'm pretty sure I've never been out that early on a Saturday.  It was really strange how dead it was!  When I have errands to run I'm definitely going to start getting out by 9am to beat the crowds.
We started off eating breakfast at Alice's Tea Cup on the UES.  I've been meaning to go there and am so glad I finally did!  It's super cute and girly.  A place I'll definitely have to take my mom next time she's here.  I had the pumpkin pancakes and they were divine!

Next we walked down 5th Ave and saw all sorts of things, FAO Schwartz (although we couldn't go in because it was too early and the store hadn't opened yet,) the Apple store, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and as you can see below, Rockefeller Center.  We were so lucky because the forecast for all weekend was rain rain and more rain.  We had the absolute best spring time weather!

We continued down 5th and then over to 7th to head to 34th Street, and went in the big famous Macy's.  Then we headed uptown and walked through Times Square, and went to the Hello Deli and got a picture with Rupert Jee (as seen on the David Letterman show.)

Then we made our way up to Columbus Circle, saw Central Park briefly, and then hopped on the A train to pick up Jason from JFK who was flying in from London.  We went back to my place so he could drop off his things, and then headed back out.  
We took the train uptown to about 34th St and headed downtown.  We saw the Empire State Building, walked through Madison Square Park, and then Union Square.

Next we met up with Katie and Cameron for dinner at another place I've been dying to try, Max Brenner's Chocolate by the Bald Man.
It was amazing!!

After dinner we headed up to the Top of the Rock.  This was my first time doing this and I highly recommend it!  I've heard it's better than the Empire State Building and now having done both I have to agree.  There wasn't as many people, and it's cool to have the view of the Empire State Building.  Huge props to Cameron for his awesome photog skills!

I couldn't get a great shot of the Chrysler Building, one of my favorites, because the Met Life building was in the way, so I settled for a shot of it with the Empire State Building.

Sunday we went to Sacrament Meeting and then headed to the Shake Shack, one of the best places to eat in the city.  We were starving and it was SO GOOD.  I got my usual: plain cheeseburger, fries, and peanut butter concreation.  Worth every calorie.  

After the Shack we went home for a much needed power nap.  Then it was off to Grand Central Terminal, H&M, and, one of my favorite New York past times, walking the Brooklyn Bridge.

We ate pizza at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, arguably one of the best pizza joints in New York City.  Here's a picture from Brooklyn with the city.  After Brooklyn it was back to the city for some Pinkberry.  Delicious.

And an obviously misplaces photo from Top of the Rock...

Monday I went to work and Jason and Elise did some sightseeing on their own.  They did such a good job navigating the subway and getting around.  They spent their last day seeing: Wall Street, NYSE, the old Federal Building, the George Washington statue where he was sworn in as president, the Wall Street bull, FAO Schwartz (they got to go in this time and play the "Big" piano on the floor,) the Manhattan LDS temple, had lunch at Harry's Burritos (one of the best, in my opinion, Mexican hole-in-the-wall restaurants in the city) had cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (something I still need to do,) Central Park, and Staten Island Ferry/Statue of Liberty.
Then I left work a little early to meet up with them at the David Letterman show!  On Saturday Elise and I were walking by the Ed Sullivan theater and there was a sign for tickets so we went in to check it out.  We chatted with the staffed, schmoozed, and then Monday they called Elise to say we got three tickets!  This was one of the best parts of the weekend.  We had a total blast and were in the fourth row!  They were doing (last) Friday's taping, with Amy Poehler as the big name star.  She was hysterical, as was Dave, of course.  I was surprised by how small the theater is, and my mild crush on Dave has now turned into a huge crush after seeing him in person.

After the Late Show our last stop was at Serendipity 3 for some dinner of course frozen hot chocolate.  

They left early Tuesday morning.  We had a great time and I think saw pretty much everything to see, all packed into three days.

6 comments:

paintingyoupretty said...

Go Yankees! It pains me right now that the freaking red sox are in first.

katherine said...

Oh how I want to come and visit NY!

Suman Family said...

wow. that looks like so much fun! we had fun hanging out with them at fernando's wedding too. we also ran into your mom there and at golden spoon! wow. it was a hope family weekend!

Steve and Rebecca said...

These pictures are awesome!!

shantayl said...

how fun for them! cant wait till sam and i get the tour o Rachel!

Nadia said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! I cant wait until we can all get together again!! I hope its soon.