Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Take from the rich and give to the poor?

Yesterday one of my favorite traders was leaving work when a homeless person asked him for money.  He gave the usual, "Sorry" and kept walking.  The homeless guy then says to him, "Hey!  We're in charge now!  Give me some money?"  Charlie's obviously taken back, "What??"  "Yeah!  We're in charge now!  You gotta give me some money!!"  
True story.
Then, this morning on my commute, with the rest of the working peeps who earn their paycheck I see what looks like a group of seats open on the subway.  Then with some shifting of people I realize, no, it's a homeless person sleeping, stretched out on the bench.
I couldn't help but think of the symbolism.
I'm supposed to keep getting up and going to work to pay taxes that will put money in this man's pocket?  Not exactly motivation.  I think I might rather be the one sleeping in and getting the handout.
Makes NO sense.

1 comment:

Shannon "Fuller" Davis said...

amen. i miss ny. can i come see u?