Friday, November 16, 2007

2007 NYC Marathon



I sit next to an avid runner at work, Dina.  She'd been training for a while to run her fourth marathon, so I was hearing all about it.  I got very excited for her, and went to cheer her on and take part in the excitement.  My friend Mike came with me and we had a ton of fun!  We went to mile 25 so people were pretty tired as they ran by.  It was seriously so cool though.  Talk about inspiring as you watch old grandmas doing the marathon in wheel chairs!  Seriously, I would really love to be able to run this.  It goes through all boroughs, starting in Staten Island, then Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, up to the Bronx, and then back down to Manhattan to finish in Central Park.
No, I didn't see Lance Armstrong, he ran too fast so he passed the point I was watching before I got there, and no, I didn't see Katie Holmes, she was too slow, and we left before she passed us.  (Not that I'm bagging on her, she's at least done it, which is awesome.)
When the runners start off the race there's a big loud speaker that plays Frank Sinatra's New York, New York.  Just hearing the stories of my two friends who ran it, and watching people as they worked so hard, really got my choked up.  So awesome.  Way to go marathoners!

3 comments:

elise said...

Did your hear about the guy that ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days? He ran in the NYC and then ran home to CA. Insane!

Rae said...

No!! That is INSANE. Seriously, like I don't understand it.

Jake, Cindy and Blaine said...

DO IT...go for it next year, why not?! hey, if you're down in may for some reason, you should do the 1/2 marathon with me. we start trainning in feb...yahoo! and doing turkey trot on thursday...for real who am i and when did I become a runner?!