Sunday, July 15, 2007

Shake Shack, Soccer, Bruce, and Bishops. A great weekend.

The weekend started off awesome. Friday night Chelsie and I decided we wanted to get dinner and a see a movie. We both knew we wanted to try something new but didn't have anything in mind. As I was leaving work I got the idea to try Shake Shack. It's one of those places I've been hearing about forever but haven't ever tried. (Don't kill me Kathryn.) The reason I haven't tried it, though, was because of the line. Shake Shack is one of those places that you really have to be geared up for. The line is always at least an hour long. Everyone always RAVES about it, though. Chelsie and I were both in the mood so we decided to go for it. It's a cute little shack in Madison Park, notice the string of lights in the picture below. We met down there but I ended up taking the subway a little bit too far downtown. I walked about ten blocks north and ended up doing a little shopping along the way. I got a cute turqouise necklace and a $20 white summery dress I wore to church today.
Finally I met up with Chelsie. The line was the shortest I'd ever seen it (we still waited an hour.) We finally got our burgers, and let me tell you, they were DIVINE. I'm the kind of person who defends In-N-Out to the death. When people try to tell me that something is better than In-N-Out I never believe them, however.........I found something that is. Shake Shack is AMAZING. The burgers are amazing, the fries are amazing, and the shakes are AMAZING. There's a million different kinds of shakes you can get (they're actually called concretes) and I got peanut butter. I'm drooling just thinking about it.





After the shack we went back to Chelsie's place and decided there wasn't really any shows we wanted to see, and I was really tired, so I made it an early night and went home a little before 11.
Saturday was a blast. I got up and went to Chelsie's and then we headed down to the financial district to meet up with some people to play soccer at Battery Park City. Let me tell you, that was a TRECK! (But so worth it.)
As a sidenote, my friends Brian and Crissy Sharp were in the city for the day and we'd planned on meeting up for dinner. As Chelsie and I were walking to meet the group we totally ran into Brian and Crissy! What are the odds??? There's 8 million people in NYC and we happened to b on the same side walk, 5 feet away from each other, at the same time. It was so good to see them.
I didn't know any of the people there, but we had so much fun. Everyone was so cool and it was neat to meet some people from the finanial district ward. I met a girl who's from Huntington Beach, and another from Rexburg so I hit it off with them and we all exchanged numbers.
Soccer was a blast. I played from ages 5-13, but really haven't played since so I was a little apprehensive. It was just fun to have the competative side of me to come out again. It was nothing intense, everyone was at different skill levels, but we were all into it.
After soccer Chelsie and I ate at a random little Mexican restaurant. It was pretty good, but nothing I'd make a point to return to.
After soccer I ran a few errands (MAC, Rite Aid, and Central Market) and then did a little tidying up around the apartment.
Saturday night my friend Taylor and I went to the Magic Johnson theater and saw Live Free or Die Hard. Obviously I love Bruce Willis, but I have to admit, this movie was really good! Then Taylor and I walked around looking for some ice cream, and ended up just buying some and taking it back to his place. I played on his drums a little bit, and he played the guitar, and we just chatted for a little longer before I went home.
Today it took me almost an hour to get to church. Since there's no uptown local trains where I live right now I had to take the bus to 125th and then the subway from there. When I got to the church I found out my bishop was being released! So weird, in the last four years I've had three bishops and they've all been released in the past 6 weeks. The new bishop seems pretty cool.
After I got home from chuch my old bishop (Jim Carter) called me. My parents were having them over for dinner. He home teaches my parents, and since Jason and Elise, and Rebecca and her family would be other there, he wanted to do something interactive. He was giving a lesson on gratitude and had me answer a few questions for him about what I was grateful for. They were the same questions he'd be asking everyone at home. Then, he asked me to look in the hymn book at the songs about gratitude and then call him back and leave him a voicemail singing the first verse. Obviously I laughed hysterically at this suggestion. He said he was going to be having everyone do it, and it would be a fun surprise if they heard a song from me. After a few minutes of persuading he got me to agree to it, I couldn't believe it (actually I could, he's the master of persuasion.) I chose There is Sunshine in My Soul Today. I really wish I could be there.
All in all it was a great weekend. My buddy Steve is on his way over to set up our ac unit in our living room and I couldn't be more thrilled about that.

4 comments:

Ang said...

What a fun weekend! Love all the details. Keep them comin'. Oh, by the way, we're not flying standby. Thank goodness!

elise said...

We listened to your solo & it was great. It was fun to hear you sing and your mom was so excited when she realized it was you. Don't worry, Jason & I did a duet to "Count Your Blessings". Your dad said I should join the ward choir....

Steve and Rebecca said...

We LOVED hearing you sing Rachel!! I thought it was live actually, but then I realized Bishop Carter was playing it off his voice mail. Is one of the couselors in your bishopric have the last name Rasmassen?? I don't know if I spelled that right, but if so, we know his cousin. Remember our friends Lois and Craig Norstrom from Boston? It's Lois's cousin. I guess he was going to Columbia for Law School and is married with some kids?? His wife is primary president in the fanmily ward. Looks like you had a fun weekend at Shake Shack! We missed you last night though! Love, Rebecca

k. said...

Glad you finally tried Shack Shack! It's definitely a must-visit (often). I love the Shack Burger... hungry...

My favorite concrete is the Concrete Jungle (bananas, chocolate, peanut butter goodness)... So amazing.