Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Amen sister

So I was just checking out my friend Cathi's blog and I had to share what she wrote, because she completely summed up my feelings, stating them far more clearly than I ever could. Please read below:

We all have fears. Yes, even you. So why are some fears socially acceptable, while others are deemed irrational?Thousands are plagued with a fear of heights, millions with a fear of public speaking, and no one bats an eyelash when a grown man avoids an escalator or an accomplished businesswoman passes a speech along to a younger associate. And yet when those of us with less common (yet perfectly legitimate) trepidations flinch or wince or shy away from that dreaded object of our affliction, we are mocked, questioned, and chastised for the irrationality of our misgivings!Why is it so difficult to understand the fright inflicted by a newly sharpened pencil lurching towards your eye? Does no one realize just how horrific it would be to have a pencil (or any sharp object for that matter) protruding from your retina, your cornea barely attached to your pupil?! People! If that's not a rational fear I don't know what is!

So thanks Cath. Hopefully people will read that and won't get mad at me the next time I make them kill a spider, or laugh at me when I'm in a lake and scared of sharks.

PS The Rexburg recap and pics are on their way....

2 comments:

Cathi said...

You are so funny! I'm glad it resonated with you. How are you? I can't believe you're living in New York! You'll have to catch me up.

elise said...

Or drink ice water from a mug for that matter.