Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Last weekend

Last weekend was awesome.  Friday after work I did a little shopping.  I got some new work clothes from H&M and some new, very needed, brown shoes from my favorite shoe boutique on 38th and Broadway in the Fashion District.  Kind of shady, but they'll barter with you, and they have totally cute, comfortable shoes.  
That night my girlfriend Erin, my roommate Jaclyn, and I went to the Enrichment Relief Society birthday party at a girl's apartment over in Hell's Kitchen.  There was a 15 question quiz on RS trivia.  I was honestly surprised people could answer any of the questions asked.  I mean really, who knows how long it took to come of with the RS motto?  (3 years, by the way) Or which past General RS president threatened to leave her husband because he had a bar in the house?  (Emma Smith.)  For that one I guessed Sheri Dew, because the girl reading the questions said, "It's someone you would know."  Embarrassingly enough, Sister Dew is the only General RSP I can name.  It wasn't until later I realized, duh, she never married.  Oops.  How long was the longest someone served as General RSP?  29 years.  Yup.  Can't remember who it was.  The point is, they gave out prizes for the top two, and the bottom one.  Yes, I was the big loser with +2.  I won the fabulous bunny ears you see in the Picture of the Week.  
After the get together Erin, Jaclyn, and I headed to dinner at Spotlight Live in Times Square.  I'm not gonna lie, this place was pretty sweet.  It's a karaokee restaurant, and when you sing, you have a live band playing your music, and back up singers!  How cool is that?  I wasn't really in the mood, I'm kinda hit and miss with karaokee, but Jaclyn definitely didn't want to do it, and Erin totally did, so I agreed to a rendition of Oops!  I Did it Again.  While we were eating dinner (the best chicken caesar salad I've had in the city) I realized everyone who was singing wasn't just a random person with a so-so or horrible voice.  Everyone was like, really good.  I kinda got intimidated and nervous, but kept telling myself to just get over it and have fun because I didn't know anyone there.  
Once we got up there I felt a little timid with the backup dancers right behind me, and didn't want to look like the horrible singer with awkward dance moves who actually thought she was good, so I kinda did it half way, and probably looked even worse, oh well.  It was still fun and I felt like I was on American Idol.  You can't really hear your voice and I really have to hand it to performers because I guess it's not as easy as it looks.  Erin decided she wanted to sing again so she rocked out You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman and she was AMAZING!  I had no idea.  (Remember I said we couldn't really hear ourselves.)  I felt even more dumb, but was totally stoked that she could totally work it out.  It was awesome!
Sat I slept in till 1:45pm.  Definitely haven't slept that late in a long time.  I didn't want to because I had a lot of things to do, but made the rest of my day very productive.  I'd been out way too late after karaokee, but will talk about that in the next post.
Since I have my new fabulous bed, I figured I should do some good with my old bed.  I could have paid $5 to have the bed delivery man take my old bed away, but they'd only take the mattress, or I could try to sell it, which is a total pain because who wants to by a random used bed off craigslist, especially when no one has a car to come pick it up?  I gave it to Curtis who's been sleeping on an air mattress for the last 8 months.  Have I mentioned that boy is low maintenance?  
So Sat was the big day we finally got around to moving it.  Let me tell you, if you ever need to move a bed, a long board is a very handy thing to have around.
Here we are, starting the adventure leaving my apartment:


It was a gorgeous day (50s) for the weather we'd been having lately.  Saturdays are extremely busy in my neighborhood.  Since I live by so many attractions the area is always crawling with tourists.  You can't walk down Wall St. without hearing 5 different languages.  Last week as I was leaving for church I walked in front of my building straight into a crowd of asians whose bus had unloaded in front of my building.  I almost got lost.  Anyway....here's Curtis pushing the bed frame down Wall St.  That's the Trinity Church behind him, on Broadway.

Chillin in front of the Stock Exchange.


He's buff.


So am I?

Yes, these are all the tourists watching us.

More tourists.

He's so excited!  Phase one: complete.

Sans makeup.  Please excuse the nastiness.  Hadn't showered yet.


It's not every day you can nap in front of the NYSE.  And yes, I agree, nasty.  Glad I was getting rid of the mattress.


It's complete!  We actually had a lot of fun going back and forth.  When we came through the stock exchange area one time we were both riding the long board and actually got applause.  It was awesome.

So Saturday night I planned a date and took Curtis out.  I wasn't quite ready when he came over.

Ready finally.  Yes, I'm aware this is sort of like a "first day at school" picture.  Curtis made me do it.

My new shoes have hearts on the bottom!

Everyone takes a picture in front of the NYSE with the Wall St. sign.  I've lived across the street for seven months, I figured it's time I take one as well.

We went to dinner at The River Room.  I highly recommend it!  It's way uptown, clear on 145th and Riverside Drive, but worth the schlep.  The food was great, the atmosphere was awesome, the live jazz music was amazing, and the view was spectacular.


He got the steak and I got the mango chicken.

We danced.

Not the best picture, but wanted one in front of the water.  That's the George Washington bridge and New Jersey to the left.

After dinner we headed to Bowlmor to go bowling.  It was an hour wait and I wasn't too sad when Curtis didn't want to wait.  It was $12.50 per person, per game!  Honestly, outrageous.  We ended up just calling it a night.  A fabulous night at that.

6 comments:

elise said...

Fun! You look so pretty in those pictures at dinner. Red looks nice on you.

The bowling alley by us is super expensive- $75/hour on the weekend.

nerak said...

So, I'm totally taking my friend up to the River Room this weekend based on your recommendation. Won't be nearly as romantic as your night though, but I'm excited for the live jazz!

nerak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nerak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
meggan said...

loved this post- it was like an illustrated story! and I would have paid money to see you dragging a bed through the city!

Steve and Rebecca said...

How funny it would have been to see some random people sleeping on a mattress in the middle of Manhattan! Nice, at least you did not have to take it on the subway, right??