Monday, March 24, 2008

Friday night

So Friday night started out very promising.  My buddy Ed organized for a bunch of people to head up to the Lower East Side to go to some random club, I guess you might call it, to go to a poetry slamming.  I don't really know how to describe what it was, but I guess basically people read poetry they've written, and members of the audience judge them.  The atmosphere was really cool, and there were a ton of members that went.  The place was packed.  I was excited to be there because it's just one of those events you don't just hear during water cooler talk at the office, more of you need to know someone who knows about these random places and random activities.

This girl was the emcee and she was hysterical.  It seemed to be pretty cool.

So the first girl went up and was up there for about twenty minutes.  I'll spare everyone from the details and just say it got really awkward.  I've never been one to be offended enough to get up and walk out of a place, but this was beyond ridiculous, and Chels and I couldn't take it anymore.  We ended up getting up and leaving.  It was really awkward because the place was literally PACKED with people, including sitting on the floor.  There was NO room to walk anywhere.  We sat there forever trying to plan out escape route, which wasn't easy considering we were on the opposite side of the room from the door.  We finally realized there was no easy way to get out, and we were just going to have to plow through.  It was really awkward literally walking right in front of the girl performing.  I didn't want to offend her, although, I told myself to get over it because she'd offended me.  I couldn't get over what was coming out of this mouth.

After we got out we hopped in a cab which didn't help much.  The cab driver was crazy (well, they all are) but this one was especially.  He was driving like a mad man, and cussing at other drivers.  This isn't particularly rare, but this guy was pushing it.  I finally t
old him to take it easy.  (I don't usually talk to the cabbies other than to tell them where I'm headed or ask them to close the window when it's freezing.)  When we finally got home our fare was $12.60.  Chels just gave him $13.  If it was a normal ride she'd probably have given him $14 total, so stiffing him a buck wasn't like, a total insult, but he rudely handed her her changed and said, "Keep your 40 cents and buy yourself some candy."  Awkward.

Curtis came met me at my place when we got home (he had to work late) and we went to dinner at one of our usual places, Gold Street Diner.  I love New York and how it's totally acceptable to get dinner at midnight.
Eating with Curtis is quite the experience.  He can eat so much, and loves his condiments, especially Tabasco sauce.  (His first present to me was a huge bottle of Tabasco, for me to keep at my apartment, for when he comes to eat....kinda seems like a present for him, but whatever.)  Anyway, he loves to mix all his food together, and it's really nasty, but I've gotten used to it by now.  Friday night he got breakfast for dinner, and I couldn't help but take a picture of his concoction of potatoes, scrambled eggs, cheese, catsup, Tabasco, and I think maybe bacon was in there too.  This is actually before he stirred it all up.  Bon appetit??


1 comment:

nerak said...

Ah! I'm so sorry that your Nuyorican experience was so awful! I've been a couple of times and I kind of loved it, but granted, it totally depends on the poet/speaker.

p.s. We went to the River Room on Friday. I loved the jazz! And the views!