Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Happy Anniversary

My dearest New York-
We've been an item for exactly a year today.  It was this day in 2007 that I showed up on your doorstep, JFK airport.  I was alone, jobless, and inexperienced.  You took me in, showed me love, helped me build a life for myself, and made me happy.
I remember for the first few months of our great love affair I constantly walked around feeling as though I was going to burst because I was filled with so much joy.  It was such a wonderful high.  We've made some wonderful, priceless memories together.
You've dried my tears, and made me laugh.  You've showed me new experiences.  You've taught me the meaning of diversity.  You've taught me new things.  You've helped me do things many people only read about.You've introduced me to amazing people.
I can't believe it's already been a year.  I can truly say, when I met you, my life began.  It only seems appropriate that this celebration would happen in the month of love.
Oh New York.  How I love thee!  Let me count the ways....

I love you because you have seasons.
I love you because of your beautiful architecture.
I love you because of your breathtaking skyline.
I love you because of your endless amounts of eligible, successful bachelors.
I love you because you're a concrete jungle.
I love you because of your team spirit.
I love you for your buildings with rooftop access.
I love you for your amazing sports.
I love you because so many great tv shows and movies are filmed here.
I love you because of the unity amongst your inhabitants.
I love you because cold winter means new activities.
I love you because of your job possibilities.
I love you because of your beach access.
I love you because celebrity spottings are a frequent thing.
I love you because your streets are numbered.
I love you because friends and family want to come visit.
I love you because of gorgeous Central Park.
I love you because every morning I'm greeted by the New York Post at my front door.
I love you because of your spontaneity and the possibilities that brings.
I love you because of your artwork in unlikely places like the subway.
I love you because of your amazing food.
I love you because of the unexpected daily photo opportunities, which keep me with my camera on me at all times.
I love you because you're close to Boston, so I can see my brother frequently.
I love you because of your randomness.
I love you because of your public transportation.
And most of all, I love you just because you make me happy.  Every single day.
Thank you for the good times.  Thank you for the happiness you've brought me, and the person you've made me become.
Here's to many more years of love.
All my love, and yours forever,
Rachel
*MUAH*

8 comments:

diana lillefloren said...

I'm so happy for you!
Happy anniversary! Who's your friend?

katherine said...

I can't believe you've only been there for a year. It seems like you've been a NY girl forever!

Unknown said...

That was truly beautiful! You make me love New York.

melissa said...

oh my gosh.... i want to move to NY so bad right now. i've been thinking about it a ton lately.... maybe after i'm done with grad school!!!

Steve and Rebecca said...

Oh...so sweet!!! Now snap out it and remember you want to come back to CA someday!!!!!

meggan said...

what a beautiful tribute...I'm so happy for the two of you!

Jake, Cindy and Blaine said...

i can't believe it's already been a year. time flies! i am so jealous of all the fun new adventures you are having in the big city! can't wait to visit! love you and miss you too much!

Marcus and Amy said...

Now I want to move to NYC! Thanks for the add! I am glad you are loving it there!