Monday, April 9, 2012

Sunday April 1st - four miles

Last weekend two of my best friends from high school were out. It was a crazy weekend that involved some serious late nights and ended in complete exhaustion. At one point in my insanity I thought I'd do my scheduled four mile run Saturday morning while they were sleeping, since they'd be on west coast time. When I woke up that morning it was very easy to push it back to Sunday since I knew they had to leave for the airport by 2pm.
I really really did not want to do this run. I was exhausted and drained from the weekend, I had some reading I needed to do for scuba class, and I had dinner scheduled with another high school friend who was in town with her husband. All I wanted to do was get ready for bed.
I allowed myself a little catnap and then got myself in gear. If I would have gotten moving I could have run in the park but by the time I got out the door the rain had started so it was off to the gym. I was really nervous about this run because it'd been a few weeks since I'd run that far, and I've actually only run four miles a few times. My longest distance to date is five and that's only happened once. I also knew since I'd treated my body like crap all weekend it wasn't going to be easy.
Guess what, it wasn't bad. I didn't allow myself to look at the mileage for a while, kept telling myself it would only depress me and make it harder. I finally picked a number of songs I needed to get through and then could look down. I was pleasantly surprised to see I'd run 3.07 miles. At that point it was only about a mile left which is never too difficult.
It was yet again another reminder that I should never skip runs just because I don't feel like it because I never know when I might have one of my best runs.
(Weekly mileage: 10)
* Thanks to Elise for letting me copy her log format.

1 comment:

maggie said...

Good job! Have you considered using Daily Mile? It's a good way to log your miles as well! I am on there, if you join, we can follow each other. Link on my blog to my profile.