Monday, April 9, 2012

Saturday April 7th - four miles

I did this run in New Hampshire since I was at Brad's for the holiday weekend. I can see why people say they like to have something to train for because if I'd just brought up running clothes with the idea that maybe I'd go for a run I definitely wouldn't have done it.
The training, in addition to the fact that I missed my second short run of the week got me out the door though. I knew I was going to miss the second short run. Between being at scuba Mon and Wed nights until 11pm, all the textbook reading I have to do for classes, and then being at the hospital seeing a friend until 10pm Thursday night, it just wasn't going to happen. I could have gotten up early, but I was already dragging all week. I considered going Thursday night when I got home, but I was so tired and emotionally drained, I couldn't even get myself to pack for my flight the next day. I was just done.
Anyway, Brad and I were supposed to go running together but he injured his foot and couldn't. He took me to a running path and sent me on my way. While it was fun to go in a new place, I decided I'm not crazy about running in unfamiliar territory. I actually think maybe I could get used to it, but it was just different. I also hadn't run any hills in a while, and haven't been running outside during daylight hours. The sun dehydrated me a bit but it was also nice to be in some sunshine.
At around two miles I decided I was going to let myself walk the duration of one song. This run was
tough. I don't know what it was but I couldn't get comfortable. I felt like my stride was so short and my whole body felt like cement. I really did not want to do this run. I only knew I was two miles in because it was right at that moment that Brad drove by. He said he'd seen me running the whole way but you still feel like an idiot when you let yourself walk right as someone passes by. It was good though, because it also made me start running sooner than I would have, and I ran the rest of the way.
I guess the one benefit of running an unfamiliar path is I thought I had about another 1/2-3/4 of a mile to go when I saw Brad waiting for me at the four mile mark. It was nice to have a little cheerleader.
(Weekly mileage: 7)

2 comments:

Sean and Becky said...

Good job Rach! I can never go after work either, I'm always too tired! Can't wait to run together in Florida, just to warn you-I'm really slow!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I think you've inspired me. The longest I've EVER run is 3 miles and I thought I might die afterwards but since Brooke has been training for her half I've wondered if I could do it as well. Just seems impossible, doesn't it?

Think you'll be so glad that you have a record of your thoughts!

(and what's with the word verification?!)