Monday, April 30, 2012

Saturday April 28th - six miles

The Central Park Loop.  I did it.  And it wasn't terrible.  I was nervous for this run, and especially nervous when my alarm went off in the morning and I looked at the temperature and it said 40s, but felt like 34.  It just didn't sound appealing.  50s is great, but 30s?  Luckily, I got myself out the door and with the gorgeous sunshine it seemed to feel more like 50.
I started off my run and felt good, but like I was going slower than usual.  I was surprised when my app checked in at five minutes and told me I was running at a pace of 7:something.  I never run that fast.  Obviously I didn't keep up that pace but was glad to keep a pretty decent pace overall to counter two walking breaks.  My usual spot after the b of a hill on the east side.  I only let myself walk about two minutes, but the next break was worse.  The dreaded Harlem hills.  WHOA.  Beasts.  Luckily the first part I was running down.  As I ran down it I was so grateful I wasn't the people running up.  However, my turn came.  It wasn't as bad as the people who were running the opposite direction of me, but it was rough.  It was also when I was about four miles in so I was already a little tired.  I let myself walk most of it and then ran the rest of the way home.  I feel a little embarrassed admitted it, but aside from that, I don't really care.  I still averaged under a 10 minute mile and the really important part, I still did it.  When I found myself struggling I told myself this was the one hard thing I had to do all weekend.  Kind of puts it in perspective.  And I felt like a total bad a when I finished.
Pretty clear to see when I had my walking breaks:
Mile 1: 8:25
Mile 2: 10:20
Mile 3: 9:43
Mile 4: 10:33
Mile 5: 11:11
Mile 6: 9:32
overall: 9:57
(Weekly mileage: 14.5)

1 comment:

DC Hilltopper said...

Strong work Rach! Almost makes me want to run myself. Almost.