Thursday, July 3, 2008

Two years ago today

It was exactly two years ago today I left Rexburg for good.  I'd graduated April 29, 2008 and at the time was uncertain about what was coming next.  Would I move to New York?  Settle in California?  Something different?  I had no idea.  All I knew was at the time going back to California didn't feel right, and I wasn't prepared for New York.  A job working as a PSR worker (psychosocial rehabilitation) worked out so I thought I would try my hand at a job in the field I'd studied, and stick around the 'burg for a bit.
It only took me two months to realize PSR was definitely not for me, and I was ready to leave eastern Idaho.
After living in #304 at the Ridge for 7 1/2 semesters, it was pretty difficult to leave.  I packed it up and rolled out of town on a beautiful day, around 6am.  It was seriously the saddest thing looking in my room one last time, all empty, and then rolling out of town.  I spent some of my best years there and even though it was time for that chapter to end, it really was so sad.  My dad always said I'd have tears in my eyes when the day came to leave, and I totally did.  I remember looking in the rearview mirror with tears streaming down my cheeks.  

This is what the temple looked like when I left.
I drove that road from Rexburg to Salt Lake and Provo so many times I'm pretty sure I could do it blindfolded.  I really wish I would have kept track over the years.  This lake is at the top of a hill, just before Malad.  It was always really pretty, especially during the winter (although that was the scary time to drive through there) and was a spot I always looked forward to, somewhat as a marker.
Rexburg to Salt Lake is only 240 miles so I usually tried not to stop....like I said, I drove it so many times that maybe I was always in competition to make a better time.  Anyway, if I ever did stop it was at this Chevron in Malad, which is about the halfway point during the trip.  They always had good snacks, including Big League Chew.  Yum.
Anyone who's driven the road to and from Rexburg recognizes this place.  I love it.
My peach of a mom hopped on a plane in the morning from Orange County to Salt Lake with nothing but her handbag.  I picked her up at the airport and then she drove the rest of the way to California with me.  I'd only ever driven the whole way (about 1000 miles) all in one day once before, and I'd never done it alone.
The next day I spent the 4th of July here, at San Clemente, with Elise's family.

1 comment:

elise said...

I totally cried a little when Jason & I drove away from Provo after graduation. Happy to move on, but sad to leave the good times behind.

I didn't know that on the 4th, you had just gotten home the day before! Maybe I did, but forgot? I hope the beach is that nice tomorrow...