Wednesday, July 9, 2008


You know how I usually blag (blog brag) about my wonderful job and how great things can be there sometimes?  WELL, the last two days have been awful.  AWFUL.  My life has basically been like Anne Hathaway's character in The Devil Wears Prada. I won't go into all the details because it would take years to explain but basically it's been a hellacious 48 hours of being on call after hours, having a headache from two constant fast paced stress-filled/tense days, working 10-11 hour days, having virtually nothing go right, praying the worst case scenario wouldn't happen, and then finding out the worse case scenario would have been better than what actually did happen, getting to the point of just about sobbing in front of half my team, boss, and three other assistants, constantly feeling like an idiot, feeling like I need to be a mind reader, dreading when my phone would start buzzing, having to argue with people on the phone after getting to that point where I'm told there's nothing anyone can do to help me, and I have to tell them that's not an acceptable answer, and then going back and forth like that until one of us gives in (and it couldn't be me), etc etc etc.  Finally, everything is worked out.  Well, after some serious travel adjustments.  But it wasn't good.  Not good at all.  And on top of all that?  Yesterday (ps stop reading here if you're going to be grossed out) I almost stepped in the HUGEST piece of poo in the subway.  Like, so big there's no WAY it could be human.  It was like, horse size....but how would a horse be in the subway?  AND I saw a homeless man's pubes, AND a lady blatantly cut in front of me in line at Pinkberry, and the Pinkberry serving was totally stingy.  Oh yeah, and it was like 92 degrees and about 1000% humidity.  Not to mention a few other stressors that are too personal to go into, but they themselves would have made for a bad day.  Oh yeah, and it wasn't until 6:30pm today that I realized I'd gone all day not even noticing the fact that I never put on mascara this morning.
Luckily I have some wonderful wonderful wonderful people in my life who were there to console me when I finally had the breakdown.  I realize my job is cushy and a lot of people work a lot longer hours and with much more stress daily.  But, I guess that's the beauty of this being my blog; I can complain if I want to.
Point of post: can't wait to get on the plane Friday and head west for a couple days.  The flights will suck royally with a ridiculous 3 1/2 hour layover in Denver Friday and 2 hour layover in Chicago Monday, but at least it only cost me $301.
But I am super bummed I'm missing the FREE Bon Jovi concert in Central Park on Saturday.  Boo.

7 comments:

elise said...

I'm sorry. I hate those days where nothing seems to go right. Hopefully you are feeling better now.

And the mascara thing has totally happened to me too. Once, I only put it on one eye... sigh.

Jamie said...

Sad to hear you had such an awful couple days!!! And, I enjoy your blog posts and all the pictures. I am sure people look and my blog and think, another picture of her kid?! :)

melissa said...

deep breath... you're almost home. just think: pizookies, buca di beppo, BEACH, laying out poolside, nephews, family, amazing weather, oh, and me. hahahahh kidding kidding... but serious. love you lots!

katherine said...

A layover in CHICAGO?!?! O'Hare or Midway? I should come and say hi. You could meet Ella. Hope things are on the up from here. :)

Meggie and Russ said...

Oh Rae, I Love you and I love reading your blog and you should quit your job and become a writer! Just kidding, don't quit your job just marry that boy (I hope you are still dating that boy as I am typing this!) Anyway, I love you! ps. next time you see poop in the subway just think of meggie poopie and maybe it will make your day better!

kali said...

although you had a bad couple of days your post did crack me up? how west are you headed? Cali? I am going to be in San Diego for two weeks doing some photographing and other stuff. Take care and don't worry good days always follow bad ones. (:

Nadia said...

Sorry Rach, days like that feel like they will never end. Im glad your home now and can have a little break. And the no mascara thing has happened to me too, more then once. So sad.