Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Darcy list

My friend Dave coined the term "Darcy List."  It's basically "a place where you can put all of those things that you consider to be undeservingly popular....this isn't supposed to be a list of things that you simply dislike-there are other lists for that.  There must be some aspect of them that you find enjoyable, well done or otherwise good for them to be on the list.  So basically, you think they're good, but you don't understand why everyone thinks they're 'fantastic!'"  Dave calls this the "Darcy List" because, in a nutshell, he just doesn't see what "every" Mormon girl thinks is so great about Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy, from Pride and Prejudice.  I've never seen any of these movies, or read the book, but I'm going to take Dave's word for it.
Dave blogged his "Darcy List", and I'm going to blog mine (and I encourage you to blog yours!)
At first thought this was kind of hard for me because my initial thoughts turned to all the things I despise, which others LOVE, and I just don't get it (ie Lord of the Rings-boooooring, all the trendy cupcake businesses-YUCK!, and the Twilight series-LAME......no offense.)

Here's what I came up with:
  • Wicked: I'm going to have to go with Dave on this one.  I saw the show about a year ago on Broadway, after hearing for about three years how AMAZING it is.  I tried to go in with lower expectations but honestly, I just didn't think it was complete euphoria like everyone else did.  Was it good?  Yes.  Did I enjoy it?  Definitely.  But is it the best show I've seen and would I see it again over a show I haven't seen?  Absolutely not.  
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Yeah, I don't know, I mean, they were okay, and entertaining, but I don't get why people were so obsessed.
  • So You Think You Can Dance: I know everyone else lives for this show, but I just have no desire.  I've seen about a minute of one or two episodes.  The dancing was cool, but I don't think it's worth watching (sorry Maria!)
  • American Idol: While I do enjoy this one more, and find myself getting into it, I don't think it's everything the rest of the world does.  I've watched the last two seasons and have had my favorites, but when the finale aired (both times) I missed it, and never got around to watching it on the dvr.  I think the hardest thing for me to get past is the length of the episodes and number of days per week it's on (at least at the beginning of the season.)  I feel like two hours episodes could easily be cut down to 30 minutes. (Sorry Chels!)
  • Johnny Depp: I hate to say it, I know I'm the outsider here, but I just don't see it.  I know, I know, those of you who know me well can DEFINITELY say my choices in celebrity boyfriends are definitely odd, but hey, what can I say?  I guess my taste is just different.  It's not like I'm saying I don't see what's so hot in Brad Pitt.  But Johnny Depp is just strange and half the time looks filthy.  Colin Farrell pulls off that look much better.
  • Going to the beach: (I know I'll get a lot of backlash for this one.)  I DO like the beach, the waves are fun, the salty ocean smell is great, and there's just something about having your feet in the sand.  But if I had a choice (while living in California) I would take the pool over the beach 6 or 7 days out of 10.  I'm just not a fan of the drive to the beach, dealing with the traffic, looking for parking, paying for parking, hiking all your crap down to find a spot, and then carrying half the sand back with you into your car.  Now that I live in New York I appreciate the beach much more, and love to go, but just not nearly as much as a lot of other people.
  • Mac computers: Yes, I have to admit it.  I like mine, I do, but I've never gotten that feeling I had expressed to me so heavily by other Mac users when I was in the market for a new computer.  Am I just not using it right?  
  • Bonfires: Kind of the same reason I'm not a huge beach person.  I'd rather just chit chat with my friends in the comfort of my home.  I don't really feel the need to drive out to dunes or the beach to make a fire in the winter so I'm either A) on fire or B) freezing, and in the dark and not able to find anyone, and getting all sandy.  It can be a nice atmosphere sometimes, but not as frequently as people liked to go in college.
  • Jack Johnson: His music's nice at times, but he doesn't make me glaze over and become super mellow.
  • Ellen: She's funny sometimes, but I don't get the hype.

So now I'm feeling super negative; maybe I'll make another list sometime of things I LOVE that other people don't really get into.

What's on YOUR Darcy List?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to disagree with you about "So you think you can dance" Once they start doing the routines,most of the dances are really good. I look forward to it every week!

elise said...

My issue with this is the obession factor - I just don't get it. I am not the type of person who gets overly into anything. There are things that I like to read, watch, eat, do. But do they consume my life? No. That is what is bizzare about all of this to me.

Jason said...

Sad about the Mac. :(

Marcus and Amy said...

I agree with you on the beach! I have never been a real fan, I like to go every once in a while - but not obsessed with it. I too would much rather go to a pool! Remember the beach club in Santa Margarita? That was kind of fun!