Thursday, October 2, 2008

40th Anniversary Issue

What makes someone a New Yorker?

Flat feet and asthma.
-Tony Kushner
Playwright

When you measure distances in blocks.
-Martin Scorsese
Filmmaker

Getting the joke.
-Nico Muhly
Composer

If the Popemobile happened to cut you off in traffic and you immediately gave him the finger, you, my friend, are a real New Yorker.
-Denis Leary
Comedian

Worst thing about New York?

Midtown tourists holding hands and walking slowly.
In the circulatory system of this city, they are human blood clots.
-Conan O'Brien
Late-night host

Where else in the city you'd like to live?

I don't believe you're actually free to choose your neighborhood here.
The neighborhood chooses you.
-Martin Scorsese

Craziest New York story?

After a career in the nation's biggest police department, are you kidding?
-Ray Kelly
Police commissioner

First apartment?

Eightieth and Columbus.
I knew instinctively I was not cool enough to live downtown.
We had a rat situation because of the construction of the Hayden Planetarium.
-Tina Fey
Comedian

A sixth-floor railroad walk-up in Little Italy.
Twenty dollars per month.
-Edward Albee
Playwright

New York's best decade?

Now; always.
-Edward Albee

Isn't the answer whenever you moved to New York?
-Nico Muhly

Most accurate New York stereotype?

We get stuff done fast.
I just got back from a week on the West Coast, and I don't know how those people haven't chilled themselves into extinction.
-Nico Muhly

Current neighborhood?

The West Village is the farthest north my husband's ever lived, and I think the same will be true of our son.
-Sarah Jessica Parker
Actress

NoLiTa.
A lot of people from around the world live in midtown.
Downtown is more occupied by real New Yorkers.
-Ian Schrager
Hotelier

Biggest New York fear?

That all the bodegas, Korean markets, and delis will close and I'll have to get my paper and milk at CVS.
-Sarah Jessica Parker

New Yorker who'd make the best president?

The guy I buy my morning coffee and paper from.
He is very diplomatic and smart and he seems to have an answer for everything.
-Brooke Shields
Actress

Favorite place to be alone?

Central Park.
It's a miracle to have it near you.
-Mike Nichols
Director

Favorite New York noise?

A home run in Yankee Stadium.
-Mike Nichols

4 comments:

Maria said...

I loved reading this! My sore feet and hacking cough agree with the first quote..

Steve and Rebecca said...

Super funny!

nerak said...

Amen to the Midtown tourists comment. I do NOT miss my commute through Times Square every day. I can't tell you how many people I ran into because they stopped abruptly to take a picture of a taxi.

Katie M said...

I loved this issue too! The popemobile one is my fave.