Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where to even begin?

So I've been neglecting my blog for about two months.  Maybe a post here and there, but there's so much that's gone on in June, July, and the first part of August, and I'm completely overwhelmed.  I want to blog about everything, but there's just so much.
I guess I'll just do the best I can.  
Life has been so hectic, I just haven't had time to blog.  Work's been crazy, everything's been crazy.
Here's a quick update to answer some commenters' questions from my last post.  I'm not moving anywhere drastic, just changing apartments.  My lease is up in September and as a 25 year old with a legit job, and after a year and a half of sharing, I need my own room.  Every day I ride the subways crammed with people, I share the sidewalks with thousands, I sit on a trading floor with 350 (the closest person sitting literally four feet away,) and I get home and have three roommates, one of whom shares my room.  Not that I'm complaining because my roommates are fab, Dina, who sits next to me at work is amazing, most (MOST) New Yorkers are a joy, but I just NEED my own space.  In college I even had my own room but at times had to escape to the solitude of my car to truly be alone.  I don't have that glory here.  Any time I'm in a car there's someone else driving it.  SO, ladies and gents, I'm moving to a place in which I can have my very own room.  Deets to follow.
Curtis, on the other hand, IS making a drastic move.  Kansas City, MO to be exact.  Long story, that happened VERY quickly.  A New York minute, some might say.  The cliff's notes version is one day out of the blue he was found through LinkedIn, called, interviewed, flown out, strenuous interviews all day, job was extended, and job was accepted, all within ten days.  Crazy how quickly life changes when you'd never guess things would go that way.  So right now he's in Africa for two weeks.  Two days traveling there, two days traveling back, 4 day safari, and 6 days climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.  Seriously.  He'll be back a week from tomorrow.  That day he'll buy a car, pack up, and drive to the midwest the following day.

On a happier note, the two weeks prior to his trip he wasn't working so it was fun having evenings to spend with him, since he used to work 12-14 hour days. 
One particular evening is blog worthy.  We'd gotten together to do our pushups (we're both doing the 100 pushup challenge, a six week program) and then wanted something to eat.  We grabbed a quick bite at a place up the street from his apartment, and then didn't want to go back inside, as it was a beautiful night.
We headed down to the Seaport, which is only two blocks from his place.  It was one of those nights, as my dad would say, you're grateful to be alive.  The temperature was absolutely perfect.  There were people, but it wasn't too crowded.  We got some ice cream and just sat there, watching people, enjoying being together, and really loving the live music.  Just a typical guy, playing his guitar and singing.  Street performers are everywhere here, but this guy was different.  His voice was so easy, it reminded me so much of James Taylor.  If I had to sum up the whole experience in just one word, I'd say pleasant.  Perfectly pleasant.  

Curtis was trying out his new safari gear, hence the hat.

You might remember these ships from the night we went to the Pirate Palooza.

1 comment:

Katie M said...

Crazy! I totally know what you mean about needing your own space. Good luck with the move. Do you need any help?

p.s. your fugly comment was hilarious.