Sunday, August 17, 2008

A few thoughts on the Olympics

I've been watching just like everyone else, staying up way too late.  I've enjoyed watching Michael Phelps in the men's swimming, the women's beach volleyball, but mostly the women's gymnastics, always my favorite event.
First off, I'll admit, Nastia Liukin has got the best body for a gymnast.  Her legs are killer, and everything she does is so graceful and beautiful.  I feel like I'm watching a ballerina when she competes.  That being said, it's impossible for me not to get so annoyed because I swear she's always got a sour look on her face.  I understand being "focused" like all the other gymnasts, but sheesh!  It's okay to crack a smile after you've just worked out a killer routine!  I was glad she at least looked pleased when she took the gold in the all-around.

But, Shawn's still my favorite.  She is ADORABLE.  I've loved her for months and was so disappointed she didn't take the gold.  She's so easy to like.  I watched a special about her and she said she hoped to be remembered as "the smily one."  She certainly is in my mind.  It's impossible not to adore her.

I know everyone else has said it, but, honestly?  When I first watched this girl compete I couldn't stop thinking, "There's no way that girl's a day over 12."  Sure enough, then it comes out that she's 13.  I mean, come on.  She doesn't even have all her adult teeth!  4-foot-6 and 68 pounds???  She's not 16.  So cheap.

And poor Alicia Sacramone.  I just wanted to cry for her the other night when she fell off the beam and fell in her tumbling pass.  Ugh.  It killed me.  Then tonight, after watching the vault, I couldn't believe she didn't even place.  I know the Americans haven't been performing to their full potential, but she was robbed.  No way that chick from Korean deserved first.  NO way.

And did anyone else see that super awkward triple kiss between Alicia and the Italian girl?  My roommate and I rewound the tv at LEAST ten times.  We couldn't stop laughing because the awkwardness level was an all time high.

7 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

Totally agree about Nastia! I thought the same thing when I watched her, it almost comes off as "I'm better then you". Which kind of makes you not like her all that much. I thought Shawn was 16? Ok totally wrong...but I have enjoyed watching gymastics too!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Im glad you enjoy watching women's beach volleyball, as my uncle is their COACH! Walsh and May-Treanor are his girls, you may have seen him and my aunt and cousins watching the match...im quite proud of him. Uncle Troy is pretty much the man (he played on the men's indoor team in 88 and won gold!) Enough bragging, but I am proud!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Racho, I could not agree more. I have had a really hard time with Natsia winning. I love Shawn. Great personality, driven, but friendly. I was so disappointed. Natsia just seems like a you know what. And yes, I did see the kiss! Awkward!!!

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elise said...

Jason's favorite is Shawn too. He has a little crush on her.

paintingyoupretty said...

LOL!!!!! There is NO WAY any of the chinese gymnast are old enough to compete in the olympics and it really pisses me off.