Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Star Wars, ORD, Isabella, SLC, and Maddy

Two weekends ago I had the opportunity to fly to SLC to be with my family and attend the blessing of my newest niece, Maddy.  I had an (unexpected) pit stop along the way, which I was so grateful for!
In typical fashion my flight was delayed from La Guardia.  (Side note: My dad just informed me it was just ranked the worst airport for on time departures, how nice.  Actually, all three local airports are among the bottom ten.  Amazing.  This particular flight I was on has a 20% on time departure.  How is that acceptable???)  But enough of my ranting about how horrible flying is these days, I could go on and on.
When I realized it was likely I would miss my connection in Chicago I wondered if I should even board my plane in New York, but decided I could at least get halfway there Friday night.
I arrived in Chicago and, sure enough, no more flights to Salt Lake.  I got in line with everyone else and was #33 in the line of disgruntled passengers.  I was definitely one of the more annoyed, as getting stuck overnight in Chicago is something all too familiar to me.
So I decided to call up one of my oldest friends, KB.  I haven't seen Katherine since she and Shane got married a few years ago, and have been DYING to meet their darling daughter Isabella.  I got ahold of KB and dropped the old, "Hey, I know it's like 9:30pm on a Friday, but I'm in Chicago overnight.  Any chance you'd want to come get me, let me totally barge in on you and your family, and bring me back early tomorrow morning?"  I had the option to stay in a free hotel and have shuttle service to and from the airport, but I took a chance that KB was free.  Can I just take a second to express my love for her?  She, along with everyone in her family, is one of those friends who is always so great to be around.  She always makes you feel wanted, loved, and welcome.  She dropped everything and came to pick me up, and didn't even make me feel bad when I got to her place and asked, "Um...do you have anything I could eat?"  She made me feel like she would have never forgiven me if I didn't call, and I'm so glad I did.  We had the best time catching up.  I was so exhausted but we stayed up super late catching up on each others' lives, gossiping, discussing facebook, and exchanging our latest work out crazes.  I'm so happy I got that time with her.
One of the other super exciting things about being in Chicago, was getting to see Star Wars!  No, not the movie (still have never seen one of those) but the cool lights in the United terminal.  When I was a kid and we lived in Chicago we flew United frequently and we called this little walkway of lights over the people movers "Star Wars."  I haven't seen it for at least fifteen years so it's been a while.  I wasn't even expecting it, but was going down an escalator, on the phone with my mom, right in the middle of ranting about how I will never take a connecting flight again and suddenly I exclaimed, "Star Wars!!!"  She started laughing, immediately knowing to what I was referring.  I couldn't pass up the moment to take a couple pictures.  Who knows if it'll be another 15 years before I see it again??


Darling Ella
KB and Shane live very close to downtown Chi-town.  It was so fun to drive through the city in the morning, as everything was familiar, but not, since I haven't seen anything in so long.
Here's the stadium where the Bears play.  Super Bowl Shuffle anyone?
The Sears Tower
I love this building.  It totally reminds me of that one scene from Adventures of Babysitting.
So I arrived to Utah around noon on Saturday.  My mom picked me up and we met up with Brad and Nadia to go shopping for a baby blessing dress.  Then my mom, Nad, and I met up with Rebecca to see Mama Mia!  This was my mom's FOURTH time seeing the movie.  I think it's her new favorite.  I have to say, I loved it, but not quite as much as the Broadway show.  But I have officially become a fan of ABBA and have been listening to their music nonstop.  The movie was so fun and I enjoyed having some girl time.  

Here's all the gorgeous ladies in my family:
My Grandma and Grandpa Hope came down from Rexburg.  It was so fun to see them!

I swear Ryan grown an inch every month.
Maddy with her Great Grandma Hope


Maddy was a perfect little angel on her blessing day (and every other day of course.)
My family, and all four grandparents
It was so fun to have everyone in my family together
Rebecca and Steve Holmstrom with Megan and Ryan
The Megster is so cute.  I couldn't stop squeezing her!
Maddy with her Great Grandma and Grandpa Marks (my mom's parents)






After the blessing we all went to Nadia's parents', Barbara and Sherm's house.  Their home was so beautifully decorated with fresh floral arrangements and gorgeous colors.  I can see where Nadia gets her great taste!
Megster with her Grandpa
Four generations, except that's not my baby.....
Everyone loved Maddy in this dress.
My brother is the most adorable daddy.

Megan giving her first girl cousin a kiss.
Sorry Meg, you'll hate me for this when you're older, but this one cracks me up.


The girl cousins.
Perfect Madeleine
Ryno and Maddy McFaddy
All the Hope grandkids
My Grandpa Marks has the most jovial laugh.

The Holmstrom kids.  Do you think Meg has our cheeks?
My sweet baby boy.
Getting three kids to sit still is a tough task.
Meg finally had it.  They were good sports with me as the papparazzi.
My dad captured this gem of me and the Megster in front of my grandma's house.  Love that sweet little face.  I could not get enough of her.

I had such a fun time in Utah with my family and am so glad I could go.  Everyone except Brad, Nad, and Mad stayed an my grandparents' house, which is what made it so nice for me.  Every time I go to California it's so fun to see my family, but it's always a few hours and then everyone goes home (Jason and Elise live in San Diego and Rebecca and Steve live in Murrieta.)  So I'm always left with a sad feeling by the end of the night.  It was so fun being in Utah and seeing everyone first thing in the morning, and being together until everyone went to bed.

9 comments:

Steve and Rebecca said...

Love all your pictures! It was such a fun family trip!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable family. I totally remember having dinner with your grandma and grandpa hope in Rexburg.

Nadia said...

Rach It was so fun being together. You took great pictures, I love the crazy one of Megan!!! It cracks me up.

Marcus and Amy said...

I didn't know you used to live in Chicago! My mom and dad are from Chicago and all my dad's fam still live there - it is seriously one of my favorite city's to visit! (But I have not been to NYC - you make it sound so awesome, so I will have to one day!)

Cute family - glad you were able to make it for the blessing despite the delay!

Shannon said...

Owww oww! What a good looking fam!

katherine said...

It was a blast seeing you. I just realized we didn't even get a picture of the three of us. For some reason my head was just in the clouds that morning.

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

That last shot of you and Meg is so sweet! I love it. And that crazy one of her is all time! hahahha, so funny.

paintingyoupretty said...

Those pictures are SO cute!!! I love them all! And, I wish I had your hair - It's so long and full!

chelse said...

your pics are so cute! I glad that you had a great time! who knew utah could be so amazing, even if i wasn't there ;)