Thursday, February 24, 2011

No more sleeping till noon, midday movies, afternoon naps, and most importantly, interviews.

I finally got the job offer, sort of. I had been told in my final interview that this job would be temp to perm. I figured that was no big deal. I've never done temp to perm before, but I figured you basically were hired, on a trial basis for a few months, and then if they liked you, they kept you. Well, it's not exactly like that. At least not in this case. I don't get a formal offer until after this "trial" period. And until then, I'm making an hourly rate that is really not great at all, so, until this trial period is over I'm still on somewhat of a spending freeze.
I'll be working at a well known investment company as the executive assistant in the private equity group. The job duties are very similar to my last job, however the environment is different. I'll be in a quiet office, instead of a hectic trading floor. I'll be covering three men, instead of reporting to one Global Head (John) and covering his 30 +/- direct reports. I'm a little sad to be leaving the trading floor environment. I had never experienced anything like it. There were about 350 on the floor, people shouting all the time, random things happening when days were slow (like push up contests for upwards of $500) and just being around so many eccentric characters and such great guys. However, I will not miss working for such a large company where I felt like a number. In my first interview at this hedge fund the girl I met with had worked at a large Wall Street bank before this company as well. She said Wall Street is where you do your undergrad, and a hedge fund is where you go for your MBA. I love that. I'm really looking forward to being in an environment where I feel like I'm someone, and get to know more people. I'm also excited to have some work space, and some privacy. It's really hard to work when you have someone sitting next to you on each side, less than two feet away. Literally, we measured one time and there were like 20 inches between us. I can't tell you how many times drinks were spilled. And everyone pretty much knew the business of those sitting near them.
One of the things I'm most excited about, is the office is on the 41st floor, three blocks south of Central Park. There is an amazing view of the park I could never get sick of. Also, the real perk, it's only a mile from home so I'll walk to work every day! I know what you're thinking, "Yeah right, that's what you say now," but honestly where it's located in relation to my apartment it would make more sense to walk or take a cab than to take the subway. I'd only take the subway one stop, and then still have some walking ahead of me. By the time I did that, I really wouldn't be saving myself any time. And it would be way too pricey to take cabs every day (although, I know I will occasionally when the weather's really bad.) I can't even express how excited I am to forego the monthly subway card and expense of $104/month (I'll just pay-per-ride for when I do take the subway on occasion.) And, really, can you imagine a better commute to work than walking 25 minutes most of it through Central Park? I don't think one exists.
Anyway, thank you all so much for your supportive comments and prayers. Hopefully I will be a good match for the position and won't have to temp for too long.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Ohmygoodness. I just let you a msg on fb. Here is all the answers! I am a little bit jealous. Sounds like a great area, view, opportunity, etc. Hope you love it even more than your last job. Congrats again!

katherine said...

Ooo, this sounds great. Congratulations!!!! I really, really, hope this is a good fit and although no one can compare to John, I hope your new boss treats you well! Good luck!

melissa said...

Congrats!!

DebiHope54@gmail.com said...

I love this picture of Central Park!!! Is this taken from your new office?? Sounds like such a great new adventure and you are the girl that loves new adventures to it will be right up your ally. I can't want to hear about your first day! Love you honey!

elise said...

Good luck today! No more stuffy suits. Hooray!

nerak said...

Hedge funds really are where it's at -- finance-industry wise. I think you'll really like it. Congrats, lady! And walking to work? Dream come true!

chelse said...

That is such great news! Besides the trial thing it sounds wonderful. You could run to work in you jogging shoes even. That would be sweet.

Brooke Morris said...

Horray! So glad that it worked out for you.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh Rach this is fantastic!! Though it looks like you wrote this post about three weeks ago--hope that means that things are still going well! (I've been on a bit of a "lack of energy" break). Hugs!!

Turbo said...

Awesome! Nice work.

Katie said...

I'm just catching up on all your posts. I admit, I'm terrible at remembering to check private blogs.

- I'm glad you're liking the job! The commute really does sound like a dream.
- Australia pics were awesome.
- LOVED the laundry guy story.
- Loved reading your NYC anniversary post. Isn't it amazing how much this city can change a person? You've inspired me to write one myself.