Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A better day

I wanted to get a new post up because I feel like my last post was so whiny. I feel guilty complaining when I have such a blessed and charmed life. No matter how much I tried to spoil myself, and how positive I told myself to be, I just couldn't get out of a funk. For some reason I've found myself to be particularly emotional lately and yesterday was no exception. Last week my dad was in town and over dinner we were discussing the good news I'd just gotten (that I was supposed to be getting this job offer....I'd found out literally right before he picked me up) and during this conversation discussed how I most likely will never work for John again, and also all the other MDs (managing directors) who worked under John, who I absolutely love, who all told me they'd give me stellar recommendations. I'll never adequately be able to describe my love for these men. They were so sweet to me, and took such good care of me. They were like big brothers in the way they constantly harassed me and were always digging around in my love life. They were so generous when it came to Christmas time, or any other random time when they just felt like buying me lunch. They really were my first family in New York and no matter how many jobs I have, or how many people I meet, that will never be replaced. As I was just briefly telling my dad about the nice texts I'd received from some of them I couldn't help but totally choke up. Then when we started discussing potentially working for John again, I mentioned how I just always felt like our time was over, and, once again, here came the water works. I've always been a pretty emotional person but lately it's been out of control. It's bizarre and there's really no explanation for it.
Anways, this was meant to be a brief post but I get rambling and always manage to turn these into novels.
I have some cousins that are pretty serious readers. Shellie reviewed Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close here, Trish reviewed it here, and Brooke reviewed it here. I know Elise is toying with reading it, and I recently heard it's being made into a movie. I've been hearing about this book for years, so on Sunday night I downloaded it to my kindle and have been loving it. Don't expect me to be finished in a week because I'm a terribly slow reader, but I'm excited to be back into a good book. I haven't read anything that I really loved for a while, so I'm excited about this book.
So far here's a couple of my favorite quotes:

What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls?...except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn't have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like a war.

In bed that night I invented a special drain that would be underneath every pillow in New York, and would connect to the reservoir. Whenever people cried themselves to sleep, the tears would all go to the same place, and in the morning the weatherman could report if the water level of the Reservoir of Tears had gone up or down, and you could know if New York was in heavy boots.

I especially loved this second quote, as anyone who knows me knows how much I love the Jackie O. Reservoir. It is one of my absolute favorite spots in the city, and one of my favorite forms of therapy.

10 comments:

elise said...

Ah! Just reading those two quotes makes me want to start reading. Wake up, Hudson!! Mama wants to get her book. Excited for our read-a-long!

DebiHope54@gmail.com said...

That sounds like a great book for sure! I love those quotes and will always have fond memories of walking around Jackio O. Reservoir with you!!!
Love you honey!

chelse said...

Sounds like a good book. maybe my next read....

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

This post gives me heavy boots!

It's hard when a part of your life transitions to another and you wonder if things will ever be the same again. It sounds like you're coming to terms with that and your former employers.

About the book. Oooooh. You guys are all wanting me to read it again. Isn't Oskar great? I hope you continue to enjoy the book.

katherine said...

I have read this one and I really liked it too. Can't wait for the movie to come out. I hope it does it justice. I love me some Sandra Bullock. Let me know what you and Elise are reading next!!!

Michelle said...

Pardon my nerdiness. I have a little obsession with IMDb.com. Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock are going to be in the movie. And the boy who is going to play Oskar, is a kid who won a kids tournament in Jeopardy. ANYWAY.....

I loved this book.

I agree with Trish. Any transition in life is so hard. There are times in reflection when a chapter in my life is closed and I feel a little sad. No matter what the chapter is about.

You absolutely do not have to apologize for being in a funk. It is great that you are expressing yourself. It is human to have emotions and you do not have to feel like you need to be happy all the time. It is just not realistic.

Can't wait for you to finish the book and to hear what you thought!

kelly said...

one of my favorite books. and the reservoir is one of my favorite places. i forgot about that quote... thanks for posting!

nerak said...

this is going to be a movie?? ace! hope you enjoy it, i thought it was fabulous.

Brooke Morris said...

Yea! I am glad that you are reading and enjoying. It must be kind of awesome to read this book while living in NYC because you can kind of relate where they are and different references they make. I hope that you continue to like it.

Sarah said...

I need to read this book. AWESOME quotes. Never even heard of it, but it's about to hear of me! :)