Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wednesday - May 2nd - four miles + strength training

So I was definitely a little tight in my calves from running hard on Tuesday.  Nothing major, but it made this run slightly more difficult.  On top of that, my friend Rachel (name twin) was in town and she's training for a marathon in SF and needed to do a four miler also.  I told her she should run with me.  She said she was just getting back into shape and hoped she could keep up with me, however, she's been a runner off and on for a long time, she's done halves before and has always been a great distance runner.  Needless to say, right when we started running she took off.
I was able to keep pace until about two miles in when I couldn't quite keep up.  On one hand, it was good motivation.  I couldn't get too far behind because she didn't know the trail and when to turn off, on the other hand, I was running at a faster pace than I was comfortable.  However, that is probably a good thing.
Once we were about a mile and a half from being done I was able to catch up from being about 6 paces or so behind, and from that point on we stayed about neck and neck, occasionally with me pulling ahead.  She hasn't trained on hills yet so it made sense.  Also, she'd lost track of our distance and that really gets in your head.  I don't really care about beating anyone, but it was nice to see maybe I've built up a little tolerance for the hills.
We finished up and then did some lunges and squats and were seriously hurting after.  It was a great workout and I was beat.  My legs have been hurting today and I know it's only going to get a lot worse tomorrow.  Hurts so good.
Mile 1: 9:10
Mile 2: 9:07
Mile 3: 9:24
Mile 4: 8:25
average: 9:02
total: 36:21
4.02 miles

No comments: