Monday, May 7, 2012

Saturday May 5th - 5K

I was supposed to run a 5K race this weekend so I was really happy to find a local race to sign up for.  The lame part is, I didn't end up running in it.  It was a combo of reasons.  For one, they didn't mail me my bib so I was going to have to show up around 7am or soon after to pick it up, then stand around for all the race festivities because it was a fun run/walk, and then the race didn't start until 9am.  That was manageable until I was up until 4am the night before/morning of.  I'd gone to bed shortly after 11pm but a friend called around 11:30pm.  It was strange that this friend was calling at this hour on a Friday night so I picked up and he needed to chat.  This chat turned into a four hour chat, and one of those where you can't exactly say, "Hey, I have a 5K tomorrow so I gotta go."  I knew I had a 10K a week later so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I missed this race.
I woke up at 8am the next morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.  I didn't eat great the night before, hydrate, and obviously didn't get enough sleep.  I was able to fall back asleep for about an hour and then did my run in the Park.  It was brutal.  It wasn't a hilly path at all, and actually my time didn't really suffer as much as I'd expect, but I hated pretty much all of it.  Maybe part of it was running a path with which I wasn't familiar.  I had to drop off some things at a friend's and then needed to stop in my office so I figured I'd just run it because it was about 5K.
It was a good lesson to learn that I definitely need to prepare myself for my runs.  Luckily I learned it on a short run.
mile 1: 9:23
mile 2: 9:14
mile 3: 9:50
average: 9:28/mile
total: 27:44
2.93 miles (weaksauce)
(weekly mileage: 13)

No comments: