Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quotes

From Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close:

-So many people enter and leave your life! Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in! But is also means you have to let them go!

-What if the water that came out of the shower was treated with a chemical that responded to a combination of things, like your heartbeat, and your body temperature, and your brain waves, so that your skin changed color according to your mood? If you were extremely excited your skin would turn green, and if you were angry you'd turn red, obviously, and if you felt like shiitake you'd turn brown, and if you were blue you'd turn blue. Everyone could know what everyone else felt, and we could be more careful with each other, because you'd never want to tell a person whose skin was purple that you're angry at her for being late, just like you would want to pat a pink person on the back and tell him, "Congratulations!"

-It's hard to say goodbye to the place you've lived. It can be as hard as saying goodbye to a person.
The first time I experienced this was the last time I walked out of my bedroom in apartment 304 at the Ridge in Rexburg. I'd lived in that bedroom for 22 months. The walls had been papered with pictures and keepsakes and suddenly I was looking at a completely barren bedroom, as if no one had ever been there. As if I'd never gossiped with my closest girlfriends, had arguments over the phone, cried myself to sleep, stayed up all night kissing my boyfriend, stressed about money and school and what I'd do after graduation. It was as if none of it had ever happened. As I walked down the hallway I cried, and even more so as I drove down the hill from Rexburg and looked in my rearview mirror. I can't imagine what it will be like one day when I leave my little apartment here in New York, my very first home that is all my own and which I love so much.

-It was the first time I had ever cried in front of him. It felt like making love.
I can remember perfectly the first time I cried in front of a boyfriend. I was 21 and in college and in his bedroom and we'd just argued about something and I cried. So embarrassed and so bonded from this first experience.

-You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.

-I put my hand on him. Touching him was always so important to me. It was something I lived for. I never could explain why. Little, nothing touches. My fingers against his shoulder. The outsides of our thighs touching as we squeezed together on the bus. I couldn't explain it, but I needed it. Sometimes I imagined stitching all of our little touches together. How many hundreds of thousands of fingers brushing against each other does it take to make love?
My love language is physical touch and this sums up my feelings so perfectly.

-I looked at everyone and wondered where they came from, and who they missed, and what they were sorry for.
Does anyone else see people and make up little stories about them in their mind?

-...it broke my heart into more pieces than my heart was made of...
The most painful feeling.

From The Help:
**Warning, final quote is a spoiler.

-...he talked and talked, his words fell through him, trying to find the floor of his sadness..
It is a wonderful thing when you have someone with whom you feel safe enough to purge all these sad feelings, trying to find the floor of sadness.

-Cause that's the way prayer do. It's like electricity, it keeps things going.

-I don't know what to say to her. All I know is, I ain't saying it. And I know she ain't saying what she want a say either and it's a strange thing happening here cause nobody saying nothing and we still managing to have us a conversation.

-I used to dash by, feeling like a dartboard, a big red bull's-eye that Mother pinged darts at.

-No one tells us, girls who don't go on dates, that remembering can be almost as good as what actually happens.
There is nothing like the day after a great kiss, being at work, unable to focus, and replaying it over and over and over again in your head. It really is almost as good as what happened.

-Right in the middle of the Robert E. Lee Hotel Restaurant, he kissed me so slowly with an open mouth and every single thing in my body -- my skin, my collarbone, the hollow backs of my knees, everything inside of me filled up with light.
Heaven.

-I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.

-He moves closer and leans down so I will look at him. And I feel sick, literally nauseated by the smell of bourbon on his breath. And yet I still want to fold myself up and put my entire body in his arms. I am loving him and hating him at the same time.
I don't know if there's anything worse a person can feel than equal parts in love and hate for someone.

-There is so much you don't know about a person. I wonder if I could've made her days a little bit easier, if I'd tried. If I'd treated her a little nicer. Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us.

-"Are you sure it's alright? If I leave you, with everything so..." "Go to New York, Miss Skeeter. Go find your life."
-Because it's like I had this exact conversation five years ago.

2 comments:

Erin Masi said...

Love the quotes from Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close! I need to read that book!!!

Michelle said...

I love your commentary on the quotes. Both great books!