Sunday, January 9, 2011

1.3.11

I feel like I couldn't have asked for a better trip. Yesterday I went to Karen's ward for Sacrament meeting. It was testimony meeting, which I love when I visit other wards because it always gives a good idea of what the ward is like.
The meeting was really great. It's amazing because I always thought New York was so diverse, but it's really not- London is. Everyone is from another country, it's so cool.
After the meeting we chatted with people for probably close to an hour and then headed to the Tower of London. Because of some changes to the tube we got behind schedule. We got there at 3:45 and it closed at 4:30. I decided I still wanted to go because we'd gone all the way out there. Karen had just done this a few weeks ago so I told her I didn't mind if she'd didn't pay the steep entrance fee to come in.
I was amazed by the size of the Tower of London! The Tower Bridge was also really amazing to see.

The Tower was honestly incredible. It's everything you imagine an old English castle to be, as a child. The cannons, the rigid concrete roofs, the protective walls, etc.

I went straight for the crown jewels which did not disappoint. They were amazing! It's hard to believe the jewels are real.

While I was there I ran into an old coworker from HSBC and his girlfriend. Such a small world. He's from Bath, England and they'd been traveling the last two weeks.

After seeing the jewels I headed out and walked around a bit more and then had to exit. I will definitely be going back next time.

Next, Karen and I headed to Westminster Abbey for the Sunday organ recital. Sadly, it was canceled last minute (I figured this would happen a lot with it being a holiday weekend.) It was, however, AMAZING to see at night. I don't know that I've ever seen a more beautiful church. I think the cathedrals in New York are beautiful but London takes the cake. The Abbey was just SO massive and gorgeous.

We took some photos, and then walked a little, and took photos with Big Ben and the London Eye.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but it felt like a really full day. I was hungry and tired.
We headed back to Karen's flat and there were about 20 people over for dinner for Karen's flatmate's birthday. Once again, everyone was so nice and so welcoming. I quickly felt like these were my friends.
There was only one other American there, a girl from California. The other countries represented were South Africa, Ireland, France, England, Wales, Canada, Denmark...that might be it. But I just thought it was SO COOL having all these people hanging out from all over the world. The girl from Wales is a midwife and I was fascinated chatting with her. I recently watched a documentary about home births vs. hospital births and it's pretty amazing how much I didn't know and how Americans are so different from the rest of the world.
We ended up playing Signs and Celebrities and had so much fun and a ton of laughs. I felt like I was in college again, and honestly felt as comfortable around these new people as I do my friends in New York.
I'm not saying now I want to move here, but I could definitely be open to it.
Once again...too tired to write about today...
Off to Paris tomorrow! Where the real adventure begins...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great adventure you have had. I agree that London is so diverse, so many in such a small place!

I pray you will get a new job soon.

Thanks for sharing your trip, loved it.

P.S. Keep me on the blog list.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm loving these posts Rach!! Especially all this antiques at Notting Hill market. Um and the cute Brit boys. Can't wait to see what Paris has to offer!

Hugs.

nerak said...

I'M SO SORRY WE TALKED FOREVER AFTER CHURCH! I didn't realize the Tower closed so early... :(

Sorry!!

Nadia said...

Love the pictures!! Im buying my London ticket right now.