Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Things I learned in Alabama

  • Football is life.
  • Auburn and the Gators suck.
  • I'll never get tired of southern gentlemen, or southern hospitality.
  • Chivalry is alive and well.
  • Biscuits and gravy is quite possibly my new favorite food.
  • Southern women are something else, such characters, bless their hearts.
  • It's 'bama.
  • ROLL TIDE.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really feel left out that I wasn't raised to appreciate college sports, and if I had to do it again I'd really consider attending a university in the south. The spirit is just incredible. I watched Mark Ingram receive the Heisman with a room full of U of A fans and it was something else. I felt like I was a part of something. I love the unity and love for football. Don't hate me for saying this, but I've never felt any devotion to BYU football, and after this weekend, I might have to start rooting for Alabama. For sure I'll be cheering for them come the championship game. I really have no choice, seeing as how I now am the proud owner of some 'bama gear. (And don't go off about me being a traitor. It's somewhat understandable when it comes to baseball because I do have a home team that I don't root for, however my college did not have sports, and I've only been to one BYU game, and that was just because it was at USC. Or UCLA. I can't even remember, but I do remember BYU lost. Sorry, but I'm not rooting for them just because I'm Mormon.) I freely admitted that I felt like a poser in the store when my friend insisted on picking me up an outfit to sport, considering I really know hardly anything about college football (but I do know the basics of the game, I'm not that helpless,) so I won't pretend like I'm diehard, but hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere right?
I went to Alabama this weekend to visit a friend and check the state off the list. I had a great time, fell in love with the people, and will upload my one photo I took later.

4 comments:

melissa said...

ahem, as a trojan, i will remind you that that game was at the rose bowl where the poor cougs lost to UCLA. byu played usc in '04 at levell (sp?) edwards field in provo. i am grateful hugo morales taught me the game and taught me to love to love sports. ps lets go to a yankees game when i'm there?

Rae said...

Hm, it must not have been USC or UCLA then, because the game I went to was definitely not at the Rose Bowl, and it was not in 04. But it was in California, but it wasn't San Diego. I could have sworn it was UCLA. It was after I graduated...i think maybe in 07? I know I ran into Aimee because she was living in LA, and Danny was also there. (Where were you??)
I should have also stated that I am VERY grateful I was taught a love of sports growing up. We just happened to watch more professional sports than college in the Hope household.

lynette said...

The south does have a love for football. High School and College. I was amazed how the little community of Friendswood supports the high school team. It is a family activity on Friday nights to go the games. It is fun to be surrounded by so much spirit!!

elise said...

Rach - you are right. The game you are thinking about was at UCLA. I'm not sure who they played (I didn't go), but Jason would know.