Saturday, May 1, 2010

Meet my BFFs: Rebecca

Steve and Rebecca (+ baby bump!) this year on her birthday in Palm Springs (at the top of the mountain, hence the coat.)

Happy (belated! :( ) birthday Rebecca! I can't put into words what a jerk I feel like that this is two days late. A combo of temperamental internet, poor planning, and committing myself to too many other things that kept me away from the computer are to blame.

One thing I can tell you about my sister is that she'd never be writing a paragraph like this one, because she is one of the most organized, punctual people I know. Even being a mom of two (soon to be three!) she's just got it together. I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but she's really one of the best mothers I know. She is blessed to be at home with the kids and really makes the most of it. They're always going to museums, the beach, play dates, the pool, etc etc etc. Her kids are well behaved, happy, and well mannered.

She is the kind of person who you can just count on. She will never commit to something and then not follow through. She is honest, fair, and has no guile. She would never even consider doing something that would cheat anyone out of anything. She stands up for what's right, makes her home a place where the Spirit always resides, and welcomes everyone. She is easy to please, easy going, and happy to just be with her family. She's unpretentious, patient, and just plain good. She's real. She has her priorities in order and has her head on straight. I can't even tell you how many times when talking about my sister to friends or other family I've simply said, "She's just got it together." There's no other way to put it.

I love you Rebecca, and hope you have had a wonderful birthday week. Thank you for your constant example which makes me want to be better. Thank you for raising such wonderful kids who bring me happiness I've never known.

And to anyone else who's reading this, I'd link her blog but she's private, so feel free to leave your happy birthday messages on my blog for her to see!

Ryan and Megan this year visiting the flower fields in Carlsbad.

An oldie but goodie. My mom, Rebecca, and me celebrating her birthday in 2006 at my grandparents' in Rexburg.

Describe your perfect day.
Sleep in, perfect weather, uncrowded Disney Land with the family, everyone is happy, kids in bed early, hang out with Steve.

If you only had time to watch one tv show a week, which would you choose?
LOST

What's something people would be surprised to know about you?
I'm pretty much an open book, so I'm not sure???

When you've had a really bad day what makes you feel better?
Steve coming home from work!

Who's your celebrity crush?
Has always been Tom Cruise (since Top Gun.) Brad Pitt is up there too though.

What's one of your favorite childhood memories?
Family vacations and time with grandparents.

What's one of your guiltiest pleasures?
Chocolate.

If you could change one thing about the male race what would it be?
??? I asked Steve if he could think of something that I have complained about and he said, "Make them less hairy." Haha, Steve barely has any hair, but he knows that was an issue with people I dated in the past.

What's one of your favorite things about living in southern California?
The weather!

What's your favorite part of being a mom?
Watching the kids discover and accomplish new things.

What book(s) are you currently reading?
Just my scriptures.

What's your favorite comfort food?
Sugar and bread.

If I gave you $100,000 with the stipulation that you couldn't save it or invest it, and had to spend it within a week, what would you do with it?
Maybe buy two new cars, since we have had car problems with both lately, a big TV and entertainment center/home theater, give some to humanitarian aid or family/friends in need.

What is a piece of modern technology you could not live without?
Cell phone, computer.

Where is the most beautiful place you've ever been?
Maui.

What book should be required reading for every American?
I know it sounds cliche, but the Book of Mormon.

You've been married for almost nine years. Is there anything that still surprises you?
Yes, but I can't say it out loud. :)
You're killing me! Maybe you should email me your answer. :)

You've got two round trip tickets to anywhere in the world. Where do you go and who do you take?
Europe and Steve.

If I could give you front row tickets to any concert, which one would you go to?
U2

What's one of your biggest pet peeves?
Flaky, lazy people.

If you had an hour all to yourself, how would you spend it?
I might relax or I might clean/organize the house, or I might run errands, or I might make some phone calls...the possibilities are endless!

What three material possessions do you value most?
Home, cars, cell phone.

What are you looking forward to?
I'm always looking forward to something, but try to enjoy the moment too. Kids grow up way too fast!

What are three things on your "bucket list"?
Traveling the world (aren't we all?), serving a mission with Steve, watching grand kids grow.

Who is someone who has changed or shaped your life for the better?
Steve, my kids, Ricks College, my parents/grandparents, and Carole Brown.

What piece of advice would you give to your younger self?
Study harder in school.

What do you know to be absolutely positively true?
The Gospel

4 comments:

Steve and Rebecca said...

Ahh, that is SO nice Rachel!!! Brought tears to my ears (darn those prgnancy hormones!), but seriously, thank you!! I am so lucky to have such a sweet sister. What a great birthday gift! And thanks for the card too! It arrived right on my birthday =)

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

You're so right, you have one AMAZING sister! (and I have one amazing Sister-in-law!)

DebiHope54@gmail.com said...

Brought tears to my eyes too....hormones in a different old lady way....LOL! I always love reading these, Rachel! My two special daughters! I love you both so very much!
Love
Mom

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Happy Birthday Rebecca!! What an awesome post you guys have put together--I loved learning a few new things about Rebecca. And I guess it's true what we've all suspected--that she really does have it all together.