Friday, January 6, 2012

January photo a day: Day five

Something you wore.

I sort of love photo a day. It gets me blogging and is sort of a fun snapshot of the day. Yesterday I got home and tore off everything pictured because even when it's cold outside, when you walk to and from work, on the inside you're sweating. I happened to glance over while going through my mail and thought, "There's my photo of the day." New ($23.99) coat, mittons, beanie, scarf, and Ugg boots. I know there are mixed feelings on Uggs but when it's 1 degree outside they are necessary for walking to work. It sucks when it's snowy/slushy outside because then I have to wear my wellies and even with thick socks they're just not as warm.

I heard all about the obscenely warm temps in California this week. People, I'm not jealous. No, I don't love the 1 degree weather, or even like it. Leaving work on Tuesday it was painful. But would I trade my seasons for beach weather in January? Actually....no. I'd prefer this winter weather to be more like 30s (today and tomorrow it's actually supposed to be 50), but I'll take what I can get. I cannot believe I actually feel this way but I do. And I'm sure one day if I live in California again I'll think the opposite. I can't imagine not having the winter wardrobe of layers and scarves, hats, and coats. I really do love getting all bundled up. I will complain somedays and I'll be ready for it to end about a month or two before it actually will, but I really do love it all. There is nothing, nothing like spring in New York. Everyone talks about fall in New York, which is incredible, but there's something about the first pleasant days that are filled with sunshine and bursting with tulips and daffodils. It is so lovely.

I'm reading a book called My City, My New York I impulsively bought while standing in line to buy my Kauai book. I freaking love it. It's a collection of blurbs from famous New Yorkers sharing their favorite places in New York. It's basically a big love letter to New York and my NY bucket list is growing because of it. I'm sure this is not the only time I'll be writing about this book.

I dogeared a page the other night that summed up so many feelings I have about spring in New York, Central Park, and the happiness with which I'm so frequently filled when I'm thinking about this place.

I grew up in Los Angeles, where all the seasons are pretty much the same. You can get away with having a jacket that just goes to your waist. But that's the extent of seasonal change in Southern California. And when I first got here, at the end of November of 1992, a friend of mine at ABC said to me, "There will come a time sometime in the spring when everything will just be perfect. The blooms will be out. The sun will be shining. You go sleeveless. And all of a sudden it all makes sense why you're here."
And the first time I felt that was in the spring of 1993. I was walking in Central park with my young daughter and that spring hit me. And so I have paid close attention to this ever since. Plus there's something about Central Park. And I know it's not the intellectual center of New York. I know it's not the theatrical center. I know it's not the educational center. But there's something about this giant park, this 840-acre park. It's the City's backyard - it's our backyard - both individually and collectively. It brings us together and in touch with nature in a way that no other place in New York can do.
So I use it all the time, and I live not far from the park. That spring of 1993, I took my daughter to the carousel and she was less than a year old. And I'm riding around it and she is having a blast. And something hit me: I thought, if I should die right now, I would be so happy. I was just so happy that I couldn't imagine life getting better than at that very moment.
I think that every spring I take that attitude and I can't wait for it to happen, especially after a brutal winter. The sun is finally out and you can just feel people's liberation after hibernation.

-Bill Ritter

May 5, 2007 was that day for me. KaRyn and I spent the day in Central Park and I was overwhelmed by the lovely spring perfect day. Having moved here in February, this day was like heaven.

1 comment:

chelse said...

I love this post! I honestly cannot believe you are saying these words that YOU like the cold. Sure has changed since Rexburg. I guess that shows just how much you love your city... you can't even complain even when it's 1 degree!